Chapter 21 - Departure

"What is she doing here?" Denton said with a raised voice as he pointed at Commander Connor and took a step closer, his finger just inches away from her face. "She detained us for hours for no reason."

"Mr. Staxx, I do owe you an apology for earlier," Leah said. "My actions were necessary, I'm afraid, although unfortunate."

"She's right," the Admiral said as he stepped in between Denton and Leah. "Her actions are monitored by the governor. She was forced to act as she did to ensure her safety, as well as yours."

"I don't understand. What does her safety have to do with us?"

"Commander Connor is the source that I mentioned just moments ago."

Denton looked at Leah and then back at the admiral, his finger once again pointing at Leah. "She alerted you to our presence?"

"That is correct. She has been an embedded, undercover plant we have used to monitor the governor and his activities for several years. She's been our eyes and ears."

"Unfortunately," Leah said and glared momentarily at Denton, "Your arrival complicated my mission, a mission I am now forced to abandon in favor of avoiding political problems between Earth and Proxima b."

Denton walked over to a table in the room and sat down, shaking his head. He looked at the Admiral and Leah. "I'm even more confused. Why would you have to jeopardize your mission just because of our arrival? I mean, don't get me wrong, we both appreciate not being held as pawns in some political game but why would that put you in any danger?"

"The governor has spies everywhere. Like the admiral mentioned, everything I do is monitored, in one way or another. Although the governor prefers to stay on Mars itself, he knows everything that happens. This is why he specifically requested you be detained."

"The governor of Mars?"

"Yes."

"So you had us detained, as he requested and then alerted the Admiral here about what was going on?"

"Exactly. Unfortunately, it means that it won't be long before the governor knows you're no longer in custody. He'll send his goons to find me. I'll be imprisoned, at best. Worst case, sent to the mine on Phobos. Either way, I'm done."

The Admiral nodded. "It is indeed unfortunate, but at the same time, necessary. In light of this, Commander Connor will be joining us on our journey to Earth."

Denton looked at the Admiral and then Leah and nodded. "What about the Governor? Should we expect any trouble from him?"

Leah shook her head. "Unlikely. The Governor won't take action against the fleet or the admiral, but he won't hesitate to try to corner me if he can."

Tanner suddenly stepped up and tapped Denton on the shoulder. "My apologies, but there is an urgent matter I need to remind you about.

Denton looked at Tanner, eyebrows raised. "And what's that?"

"My power reserves. I am running dangerously low and require recharging as soon as possible.

Denton jumped to his feet. "Oh yes, I forgot." He looked at the Admiral. "How quickly can you get my colleague here to his power units?"

"I'll have one of the guards escort him."

"Perhaps the Commander can show me?" Tanner suggested and took a step towards Leah.

"Me?" Leah said, surprised at the invitation.

"Yes, of course. You appear to be very intrigued by AI and my abilities. Since we'll be spending the next part of the journey together, I'd love to start by showing you my cores."