Chapter 58 - Alive

Gabi pulled up to the front of the resort and hit the brakes hard, barely avoiding the car of a couple that had just arrived. On their way inside, they froze mid-stride at the appearance of the transporter and were almost knocked over by the luggage cart immediately behind them. The husband managed to grab his wife by the arm and by some miracle, they both didn't end up face down on the sidewalk. 

One of the valets stared at the military machine, eyes wide open, mouth agape, while one of his colleagues already had a radio to his mouth, speaking rapidly while he waved frantically at Gabi to move the eyesore. His message was clear. Get the transporter out of there. Now. She ignored him.

"Lowering the ramp," she said as she glanced over her shoulder at the still unconscious Jarell. "Denton, Carter, you'll have to carry him inside. Leah and I will find something to load Tanner onto."

Denton nodded without a word. He grabbed Jarell's feet and legs while Carter picked up his torso. They gently exited the cabin and then continued past Tanner in the cargo area and down the ramp.

Audible gasps were heard from the crowd of guests that had gathered around the front door of the resort. Some pointed and whispered, hands over their mouths, others were quick to grab a photo of the drama for posterity.

"Wait, wait, wait," the concierge hissed as he came running, his hands stretched out in front of him, two fingers pointing at the lifeless Jarell. "Stop right there. You can't bring that...thing in here."

Denton pushed past him. "That thing? We need to get him to medical," he shouted over his shoulder. "Help me out, will ya?"

"Certainly not," the concierge said as he followed them inside the lobby. "This is not a hospital. Call for an ambulance if you need medical assistance."

" I don't have time for that," Denton said and looked at the man's name tag. Stan. "Listen, Stan, this is a matter of national security. I don't have time to argue. Help me out or get out of the way."

"You're not going anywhere," a booming voice from somewhere on the other side of the lobby shouted. Denton looked in the direction of the voice and saw a small, stubby man with a balding head stride towards them faster than he should. His face was already red from exertion, and he was wagging a finger in the air as he approached Denton. "You are not welcome here," the man said.

Denton sighed and shook his head. "And you are?"

"I'm Pranton, Oswald Pranton, resort director. I'm in charge here."

"Oh, are you now? Excellent, maybe you can help us out here? This man needs medical attention. Can you..." Denton was interrupted by Pranton's finger in his face.

"I don't take orders from you," the short man hissed. "This is my resort, you will do as I say,
"Not quite right, director," a voice behind Denton said, followed by a cough. Pranton's face turned a darker hue of red, his fists squeezed together tightly.

"How dare you," Pranton began as he stepped sideways to get a better view of the defiant guest. He froze mid-sentence as his eyes met those of Carter and his face lost all color. "Mr. Forsythe, I, I didn't recognize you there," he said softly and bowed stiffly.

"I gathered as much. Now, if you please, clear a path to medical. This gentleman needs urgent attention."

"Oh, yes, of course, of course," the director said and snapped his fingers, which sent the staff scurrying around him like a pack of squirrels.

"We also need your best engineer's help," Carter continued.

"An engineer? For your transportation?"