Chapter 13

Olivia

I suddenly thought, Hayley. Where was she? My little sister, just four, was she hiding? I scanned the room, but could see no evidence of her. Maybe, after being finished with us, she would be okay and escape the murderer. If the man could just shoot us... No. I couldn't leave her. She would have nothing. She couldn't lose her brother and sister as well.

'Hey!' a sharp shout interrupted my thoughts and I jerked my head to where the noise was coming from. It was him. He was pointing a gun directly at my head. I felt numb.

'Don't shoot me.' I whispered, to the delight of the murderer that stood proudly before me.

And then he was crumpling. His gun clattered to the ground, and he collapsed beside it. The floor was scattered with ceramic shards. Stunned, I did nothing, but my brother leapt forward and grabbed the gun. I looked upwards, to see Hay standing on the landing, clutching a bunch of flowers.

'I didn't want to hurt the flowers.' she said weakly, sucking her thumb.

I stood up and ran up the stairs towards her, gathering her in my arms. She was shaking, her eyes full of a dark fear.

'It's okay, Hay.' I mumbled as she nuzzled into my shoulder. I felt tears of relief and terror slip from my eyes, and let myself feel an emotion for the first time in what felt like ages. This day had been never ending. I had almost died twice.

Toby

Watching Olivia embrace her sister was like a sharp pain in the side to me. I wanted my family to care that much about me. Hayley was a pretty child, her hair in bright blonde ringlets. Her eyes were big, lined with long eyelashes. But her clothes - they were awful. Dirty, and much to small for her. Her little toes poked out from her shoes were blistered. I suspected her smile would be charming, but I knew I wouldn't see one for a while. I looked down, feeling empty.

'We should go.' I said, scuffing my shoes against the wall.

I looked up to see Olivia glaring at me, her eyes like lasers. Then she looked away, to pick Hayley up.

'Yeah. Are you coming, Will?'

'I want to-'

'They'll be out for both of us. We should stick together.'

'Why can't we tell the police?'

'We can't.' My answer was urgent. 'They'll still be looking for you, they'll have more means for revenge. And then there's the people after me and Olivia too. The police will never believe us! And if they do, they'll take me and put me in prison.'

'What-' her brother started.

'Not now.' Olivia said, shaking her head. We need to get going before he,' she gestured sourly at the unconscious man on the floor. 'Wakes up. Are you coming or not?'

Her brother sighed. 'Okay.'

'Good.' She stood, with Hayley in her arms, like a leader. 'Grab your rucksack Will, we'll fill it and leave. Toby, you tie him up in case he wakes.'

I nodded meekly, and then thought of something.

'With what-' I looked up, to see Olivia had disappeared already, I turned, to see Will staring at me. 'You should get the rucksack.' I mumbled, awkwardly.

'Whats wrong with her?' Will asked, concerned.

I was silent for a while, trying desperately to find the words to say.

'She's been through a lot.' I finally said. 'She was almost killed twice today. She almost lost you and her sister. She- she's finding it hard to cope, but instead of letting herself express her pain, and terror, she hardens. She hides it.' After a bit, I looked up from the floor. Olivia's brother looked hurt. I didn't know why.