Chapter 7

Olivia

The whole ride back from the police station my brother refused to talk to me, just swore under his breath. It was at home he exploded. A long lecture about responsibility, and how I could get into real trouble. I knew all this. I was mostly worried about my argument with Shay. I don't think we had ever had one so bad.

I nodded along sleepily to Will's lecture, trying my hardest not to yawn, and then went upstairs only to find I felt wide awake. I felt as if I was being forcefully charged with electricity. All I wanted was to sleep.

My little sister was already fast asleep and I really, truly envied her that night. My head felt all messed up. Confused....

At about one I completely gave up on sleeping, so I grabbed my phone and dialled in Shay's number,

'What the hell, Livvi, it's one o clock.' Shay hissed.

'Look Shay -'

'Don't try to say your sorry.'

'I didn't mean what I said. I was being stupid. I -'

'Don't make excuses. Just face the fact.'

'What fact?'

'That you and freak boy were destined to be together.'

'Shay-'

'What a backstabbing friend you turned out to be.'

'Im not the only one.' I muttered, remembering the time I walked in on shay and my boyfriend kissing. I remembered how heartbroken I was.

'Thats behind us Livvi, but this isn't.'

She hung up.

I barely slept that night.

Toby

I came home to the usual state. The place smelled of alcohol, and my mum was smoking on the sofa. I coughed and recoiled slightly against the smoke when I first entered, but then I took a cigarette from my mum who stared blankly at the TV screen which had the football on, and headed upstairs. It hurt to remember the time when me, my older brother and my mum used to gather around the TV getting into very heated debates with the referee, and eating chicken wings. It was our tradition.

I blew out a ring of smoke and coughed slightly.

I whacked my fist against the wall and then cradled it in my other arm. The pain was explosive but I hit my fist against the wall a second and third time.

I was so messed up.

I had to face up to what I did.

I couldn't.

They'd lock me away.

But I wanted to be forgiven,

I wanted to be able to forgive myself.