Chapter 3

Toby

Walking to that desk was like when I walked down the aisle in court, to give my statement. Eyes staring from all different directions. Watching me, like wolves watching their prey. Eyes like demons. Like predators. And that girl... Shay, I think? God, her glare was murderous. I knew I would have trouble with her from that moment on.

Sitting down, I began to absentmindedly scratch my hand again.

Olivia

I sat down next to the boy feeling guilty, annoyed, upset and mainly confused. I saw him scratching again and almost kicked myself. Could I have been more obvious about not wanting to sit with him? And now he was hurting himself. So stupid. As the lesson progressed, I tried to talk to him.

'Do you understand?'

No reply.

'This is boring, isn't it?'

No reply.

'Do you need to borrow a pencil?'

No reply.

Seriously, what was wrong with me?

Toby

By the end of the lesson she had stopped trying to talk to me. I was grateful, because I was really not in the mood. I can't believe I let myself feel a kind of... almost fondness towards her. It was pathetic. I only had myself. I couldn't trust anyone else. I looked down, and I could still feel the blood on my hands, still see the body. The eyes, just those of a dolls. I shook my head violently, and threw my book across the room agressively.

Everyone stared at me again. Demons eyes. Predator eyes.

'Are you okay?'

The teacher asked me.

I scratched my hand

'Toby...'

'Don't tell them my name!'

I didn't mean to shout it.