Chapter 9

Olivia

What the hell was happening? I thought, as I ducked under the desk. I winced as I touched my finger to a long scratch on my arm, but then turned my attention to the chaos in the rest of the room. People were screaming, some unconscious on the floor, and the men seemed unaffected as they ran smoothly around the room. One of them grabbed a girl by her hair, who was sobbing uncontrollably and yanked her upwards.

'Where is he?' He yelled in a gruff voice, and held the knife to her throat.

'I don't know. Please...' She begged.

The man threw her to the side and she hit the floor, collapsing in a heap. Her forehead was red with blood, and I could tell her breathing was unsteady. I turned to see Toby shaking and rocking himself. He was muttering words that were inaudible. I touched his arm and he jerked away from me. He was sweating, tears streaming down his face.

'Toby.' I whispered. 'Toby.' My plea was more urgent the second time.

Just then, I turned around to see one of the men holding shay up by her neck. She clawed at his hand but his grip was unbreakable.

'Tell us!' The man yelled.

'I - don't - know.' She choked out.

Oh god. Shay.

Toby

Screaming. Rocking. Screaming. Muttering.

Blood. Death.

My fault. Again.

They wanted me.

I needed help.

Screams. So many screams.

So much blood.

Help.

I could hear Olivia.

She wasn't help.

She was just another girl waiting to die.

Olivia

'Shay!' I screamed, and stood up, revealing myself. Eyes turned to me, and I immediately regretted my decision. The man let Shay drop to the floor where she coughed violently, and gave me a toothy grin.

'Do you know where the boy is?' He growled, stepping towards me. I hurried backwards until I hit a wall. I felt a strange roaring in one ear.

'Which boy?' I gulped.

I knew which boy. I knew who it must be. I knew it couldn't be anyone else.

'You know which boy.' It was like he could see right through me.

I gulped, and he consumed my fear as if it was his power source.

'So tell me. Or I kill you and your classmates.'

'I don't know. I don't know who it is.'

He shrugged, and I suddenly felt a sharp pain in the side of my head. The man standing to my right side had lunged at me, and hit me. Blood streamed down the side of my head from my ear, and the roaring sound greatened. I curled up into a ball, clutching my ear as the pain echoed through my body.

The pain. It was unbearable.

The man stepped towards me again and placed his foot onto the side of my head.

I shivered at the cold feel of his boot.

And then, I heard something clearly through the emptiness.

'We've got him!'