20~ The Monster Within

*Jodie's P.O.V*

"I-I don't see how that's a party."

"I couldn't agree more, Nat." I braced myself to make a run for cover along with the others and Bruce walked towards the creature as it crashed along the road.

"Dr. Banner, now might be a really good time for you to get angry," Steve warned.

"That's my secret, Captain." Bruce looked back at us. "I'm always angry."

My eyes widened as he transformed and smashed a large green fist into the jaw of the giant creature. With the sudden halt the rest of it began building up in the air, its armour falling off and scattering around us. "Hold on," I heard Tony's voice and saw him hovering nearby as he shot at an uncovered part of the creature's hide. It exploded almost instantly and Steve shielded Natasha and himself with his shield, Thor covered his head from the blaze and Clint hauled me behind an overturned taxi, shielding our heads from the blast. The city seemed to erupt with the angry cries of Chitauri as Hulk roared and we all stood back to back in a sort of huddle, bracing ourselves and preparing our weapons for the next attack.

"Guys..." Natasha warned us and we all looked up at the portal to see more Chitauri and giant worm creatures coming through.

"Call it, Captain," Tony invited, since Steve is the most familiar with war.

"Alright, listen up. Until we close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment," Steve told us, sounding all business like. "Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you've got the perimetre. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or turn it to ash."

"Wanna give me a lift?" Clint asked Tony.

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas."

The two of them flew off and Steve continued. "Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal, slow them down. You've got the lightning, light the bastards up." Thor swung his hammer around before flying into the air. Steve turned to Natasha and I, although I could see he wasn't entirely happy with me joining in. "We're gonna stay here on the ground, keep the fighting here. And Hulk." Hulk turned to him. "Smash!"

With a grin, Hulk took off and began smashing any Chitauri clinging to buildings. Good thing he's bulletproof, I thought as I tightened my grip on my knife.

__________________________________

I've lost track of how long we've been fighting. Honestly, it feels like hours. For every scratch I heal, I earn about three more. Every Chitauri I kill is replaced by ten more. From what I can see, Steve and Natasha aren't badly hurt, both of them fighting as strong as ever. I ducked and spun around as a Chitauri shot at me, roundhouse kicking him away into another who was trying to sneak up of Natasha. Clenching my fists, I threw ball after ball of energy at our attackers, sending them falling dead.

"Duck!"

I flipped backwards as Steve threw his shield, narrowly missing me, knocking several Chitauri flat and rebounding off a car before coming back to him in a boomerang effect. Everything I have been taught in life, from defense to acrobatics to offense, came flooding back to me in waves. I felt adrenalin rush through me and I can't remember a time I've felt more alive.

"And they just keep coming!" I muttered in frustration as I threw my knife at a Chitauri, the knife ripping through him and another with the force I'd thrown it. I ran over and retrieved it, only just rolling away in time as I was shot at. I lost my footing and rolled along the ground, suddenly feeling my legs pinned down and having one of the Chitauri's long blade guns inches from my face. If my legs were free I'd be able to kick him away but right now I am struggling not to be impaled. My hands were straining when with a clang of metal the pressure dropped and I was hauled to my feet my Steve.