7~ Familiar Faces

7 YEARS, ? MONTHS LATER:

SEPTEMBER ?, 2012

*Jodie's P.O.V*

I've officially been on the run for 7 years and... I don't know how many months. I haven't exactly had an accessible calendar, all I know is that the last time I checked - about three days ago - it was September. That makes me 26 now. Whoopee...

I haven't left New York since I left my other life behind, but I don't mind. As crazy as it sounds, like, "I'm on the run. I'm leaving for another state or country," that's not what I'm about. Sure, I've avoided contact with the boys and as many people as possible, but that doesn't mean I can't have my own fun every now and then.

I know every street, subway, alley, sewer line and pathway like the back of my hand, so that makes things extra fun when giving the police something to chase. Yep, they soon heard that I was on the run, never staying in the same place for more than a day or two. So they put extra security everywhere they thought I would go. Of course, I'd avoid those places, so they move the security elsewhere and then I'd sneak back in to those unwatched areas. I've often led them on chases through the streets before leaving them stunned at my sudden disappearance. I've kept them chasing their tails for so long, you'd think they would've given up years ago. They should know that they're never gonna catch me that easily.

So far, I haven't had any sightings or run-ins with people from SHIELD. Whether they're just keeping their distance or not, I don't know. I'm just glad they aren't constantly on my tail. Back to the present...

I'm currently sleeping on the roof of a house, and honestly it is a lot more comfortable than some other places I've had to sleep in. Carefully stretching so as not to slip, I sat up and looked into the early sunrise. Over the years, I've found myself singing songs in the early morning hours, but more often just as sunrise is approaching. Wherever I do end up sleeping, the surrounding locals have become accustomed to my early bird chorus. Some even look forward to it, like the man whose roof I'm sleeping on now; one morning he was expecting to hear my singing but didn't. He left a small note with some food up on the roof for me, asking where his morning melody had gone. That had really made me smile.

Facing into the rising sun, I frowned in thought about which song I should sing this morning... I decided on Trespassing by some artist called Adam Lambert. "I don't need no sympathy, I won't cry and whine. Life's my light and liberty, and I shine when I wanna shine. Make their faces crack, there's no turnin' back... Let's GO!"

I sang it quietly but loud enough for it to be heard throughout the surrounding houses. I don't sing entire songs, just little snippets. I sang these lyrics a few times over until I heard a window open below me and a brown paper bag was thrown up. Smiling, I reached for it and called down, "Thank you!"

I have told him that I didn't expect him to give me food, but he said I deserved it. I heard the window close and I tucked in to the food, enjoying the satisfaction of having food in my stomach. Okay, living on the run hasn't entirely been fun and games like I've made it sound...

One, you often have to go days without food - more than once I've gone an entire week. Two, there is very little company - the police have issued a reward for anyone with information on my whereabouts or for anyone who manages to bring me in. There have been few people who have given me help, as most are greedy and just want the money. Three, I have to constantly be on the lookout - if someone sneaks up on me I might not be able to overpower them, and I will not risk using my gift to help me. Four, I do not know who to trust. I am basically alone in the world.

I finished the food and jumped across to another rooftop, sliding down a pipe to the ground and throwing my rubbish in the bin. Tightening the straps of my duffel bag I began my morning stroll.