17: This Means War

Start from the beginning

On one side of the room, there are machines designed for building muscle and she remembers using similar ones at The Academy when she was younger. On the other side, the entire side of the room is covered in thick, padded mats. There's a wall covered in racks of armor and weapons of all kinds. She smiles when she sees it, envisioning her father here with her when she was younger. She hadn't come into this room when her father showed her this place, but it was easy to imagine.

Phoenix hands her a sword and takes the other for himself. She almost feels unbalanced with only one sword but knows that it's good practice for if she were to lose track of one of her swords during the battle.

"Only a little bit of power," she reminds him. "I don't want the ceiling to fall down."

He smiles as fire coats his blade and he moves into an attacking position. She allows fire to surround hers as well, curious as to who would win between the two of them.

Their swords clash and fire splashes like liquid with each impact. They're both simultaneously on the defensive and the attacking, blocking each other's blocks with ease. 

They pause momentarily to catch their breath and Valkyrie reaches for a spear instead of a sword. The pole is made of metal and the blade at the end is made of cut diamond. The point is deadly as it sparkles in the light of the room and she's transfixed. 

Eira would have loved this.

She nearly drops the spear as the thought crosses her mind, but then a heavy determination settles in her chest. She's going to fight alongside Eira as long as this weapon is with her.

Phoenix has selected a long leather whip, which he wraps in fire as well. She smiles and frost sweeps up the blade. He throws the whip in an attempt to wrap it around her legs but she blocks it with the spear, the ice around it putting the flames out. The end of the whip licks at her ankles, snapping at the soft areas of her calves. She swings the spear and Phoenix lunges back as he dodges it, tripping over his whip and landing on his back. She pounces on him and points the frozen spear at his chest. "I win," she teases.

"You fought just like Eira," he whispers, his eyes wide.

That sends her scrambling away as she drops the spear. The ice disappears from it and Phoenix picks it up before holding it out to her. "It was beautiful," he tells her. "I almost thought she was back."

Valkyrie shakes her head and refuses to take the spear. "No, I don't want to be able to fight as well as she did with that. I'm not as good at it as she was."

"Yes, you are." Kaj steps in from where he must have been watching from the opening. Fresh tears shine in his eyes but don't fall. "I thought you were her for a second."

"No," she disagrees. "Eira was definitely better."

She doesn't want to take anything away from Eira. The spear, the ice, the style of fighting.... it was all hers. Valkyrie can try to imitate, but she will never fight as flawlessly as Eira did with a spear.

She walks back to the wall and grabs two heavy swords before turning around. "Come on, Kaj. We all need to work some of that emotion out." She tosses him a bow and he catches it as he steps onto the mat.

Giggling interrupts the serious mood and they look up into the balcony area around the cavern. The group of children is up there watching them, happiness evident on their faces.

"We might as well give them a show," Phoenix muses. "The poor things have had a rough month and they want to watch."

"Still only a little bit of power," Valkyrie warns. "We have to be careful with them up there."

Both boys nod and each of them prepares quickly. Phoenix now has his normal dual-sided blade wrapped in fire and Valkyrie wraps hers in lightning. Kaj has his bow and the tips of his arrows are heavy, sharp granite pieces. Metal runs up and out of the bow as well, almost like a bayonet.

They spar, blocking each other's blows and attacking, each person for themselves. Their powers cause light to flash through the room but other than that, it's contained.

Until suddenly, a massive boom shakes the very ground and dust rains down from the ceiling. Their spar stops and both boys look at Valkyrie. "You're the one who said only a little bit of power," Kaj teases.

Her expression is serious. "It wasn't me."

Both boys somber up immediately. "It wasn't?"

She shakes her head. "They must be here."

The children come running down from the balcony, feeling that something was wrong but not knowing what. They run to the Mauliks for protection and Bailey clings to Valkyrie's legs. "Who's here?" She asks, her eyes wide and doe-like.

Valkyrie feels a strong instinct to protect the children and make sure they're all safe. She crouches down in front of them, hugging Bailey tightly. "The Ankathians," she answers honestly. All the kids looks terrified and many of the younger ones look close to tears. "Don't be scared though, okay? We'll protect you." 

She stands up but Bailey refuses to let go of her, so she picks up the little girl and rests her on her hip. She, along with Phoenix and Kaj, meet up with the rest of the adults and lead them to the cavern deepest in the caves. It's built like a bunker and it's the safest room of all. Blankets, mattresses, pillows and food are all moved into this room since none of them know how long the battle will last.

Valkyrie sets Bailey down and leaves her with her family. "Be strong," she whispers to the little girl.

"I'll be as strong as you," she promises, making Valkyrie's heart swell with affection.

"You're stronger," she tells her, ruffling her hair. The little girl laughs and swats at Valkyrie's hands. "I'll see you when this is over, okay?"

She nods and runs to her mother, who scoops her into her arms with a grateful look in Valkyrie's direction. Valkyrie smiles back before leaving the room. Her smile disappears as soon as she's in the hallway and she instructs Kaj, "Stay here and protect them. If anything happens, lead them into the forest so they won't be hurt if this place collapses."

He catches her wrist and pulls her tightly to him. He wraps his arms around her and squeezes, then lets her go. "Be careful," he says. "Please. We all need you."

"I will. You too," she says, hugging him one more time before hurrying back to the front of the cave.

Phoenix is already there. He's watching the boulder in front of the door, but it doesn't seem like the Ankathians have seen it yet. He wraps an arm around her waist and puts the other hand on the side of her face. "Promise me you won't die," he whispers.

"I promise to try not to die," she swear. "Promise?"

"I promise too." He leans down and kisses her urgently. "Be careful."