Chapter Forty Five

Start from the beginning

She presses her lips together. "I promise. I actually have some news."

"What's that?" I ask as we fall in step.

"I've started dating someone."

"You have?" I question in surprise. "Who?"

"Emily, Miles' roommate," she says quietly. "We've been hanging out a lot."

My eyes widen. "Really?"

She nods. "Yeah. I didn't think she would be into me, because she seemed kind of in love with Miles, but turns out she was."

"Wow, that's great. For both you and me," I grin, nudging her arm. "But seriously, I'm happy for you."

"Thank you," she replies.

"How did you do it?" a voice asks from behind us. We turn, to see Kiarra glaring at us, eyebrows raised. "How did you worm your way back in?"

Samara exchanges a look with me.

"Can we go somewhere to talk?" she asks Kiarra.

Kiarra looks unimpressed. She flickers her eyes from Samara, to me. "I guess."

Samara smiles as they begin to walk in the opposite direction. Kiarra looks back to me and I give her a thumbs up.

"Your friends again?" Miles' asks me, materialising at my side and wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"On the way to being friends again," I nod.

I tilt my head back as his fingers dance on the edge of my hair. He is still bruised from his encounter with his past, but he is doing a lot better. He leans down and kisses my nose softly.

"Let's go on a date tonight. Dinner and movies?"

"That sounds perfect," I say, laying my head on his shoulder.

"What time is your meeting?" he asks.

"Ten minutes," I reply.

Over the next few days, we all have interviews with the careers adviser, to discuss what our plan is once we graduate.

"I'll walk you," he offers.

As we make our way to the office, I have my left arm wrapped around my textbooks, my right hand loosely fitted into Miles'.

"I'll see you in class," he says to me, planting a soft kiss on my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you," I smile back.

I lightly knock and earn a grunt in response. I push open the door, to see Mr Hayward sitting at his computer, tapping lightly at the keys.

"Good morning Miss Collins," he greets me, flickering his eyes to mine briefly. "Take a seat, I'll be with you shortly."

I place my textbooks down and sit, folding one leg over the other, clasping my hands together. Mr Hayward is a tall man with thinning hair and a grey-streaked beard. He finishes typing and leans back in his swivel chair, the chair squeaking as he turns.

"How are you?" he smiles, pulling out a folder and glancing down at it.

"Great, thanks."

"So, you're interested in primary teaching?" he questions, scribbling something down in his notes.

"Yes," I nod. "I have taken all the electives necessary and I did work placement last year at two different primary schools. My mum is also a primary school teacher and I have drilled her on all the need-to-know questions."

"That's great. You seem very confident with your decision."

"I am," I smile.

"Your class results are fantastic, a definite improvement from other times," he quickly smiles and I shrug, not taking offence. "Based on your results, I think you'll have no issues with applying for Early Entry, through teacher recommendations. Is that your plan?"

"Yes sir," I nod.

"If for any reason you don't get in through that system, your results alone will be suffice. Do you have any questions or concerns that I can address for you?"

"I think I'm all set. I've made a list of the universities I'm applying for and I understand the level I need to be at to get in."

"Excellent. You're very organised," he praises. "I think we're done here, unless there is anything else you need to discuss?"

"I'm okay," I grin. "Thanks for your help."

"No problem, Miss Collins. Don't hesitate to pop in or shoot me an email if anything changes."

"Will do."

As I step outside of Mr Hayward's office, I feel satisfied with my decision and my future. I spent a long time tossing up what I should do and where I thought I wanted to be in a few years. But now that I've decided, it feels like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Miles is leaning against the wall, his arms folded, a lazy smile spread on his face.

"How'd you go?"

"You waited for me?" I ask with a pleased smile.

"Of course."

"It went great. I'm all set with applying. How about you?"

"Not quite as organised as you, but I'm not applying for uni. Not now, anyway. So I have some time." He answers. "And wherever you go, I'm coming, too."

"I hope so," I reply, looping my arm through his and leaning into him.

"Samara has been at the house lately. I haven't actually seen her, but I've heard her talking and laughing with Emily."

"They're dating now, so that's probably why."

"They are?" he questions. "Huh. There you go."

"I've been thinking," I say to him, half-turning so that our eyes meet. "Once I figure out what university I'm going to, I want us to move in together."

A smile breaks out onto his face. "Me too."

"An apartment, just us," I sigh.

I can imagine us having movie nights, cooking, staying up late... it would be a dream come true.

"It would be perfect," he smiles.

"Speaking of perfect..." I trail off and wiggle my eyebrows. "Are you ready for the dance? I bought you a tie to match my dress."

"You didn't need to do that, but thank you," he replies. "I have a suit ready to go."

"I can't wait to see you dressed up," I exclaim excitedly, squeezing his arm for emphasise.

He rolls his eyes. "You're the one who will look good."

"Says you," I reply sarcastically.

"I have a surprise for you, after the dance," he leans in, whispering in my ear. "Pack to stay overnight."

I softly bite my lip.

"I can't wait."

---------------------

I always get so stuck with the ending of stories. I know how I'm going to end it but just getting to that point is such a struggle!!! Anyway, thoughts on the friendship revival of the trio? Samara and Emily dating? Isobel and Miles moving in together after graduation? Tell me all your thoughts!

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22