Chapter Forty Two

------------------

Dedication: JgAuthor for saying this story has become one of your favourites. I hope you do decide to check out my other stories and enjoy them as much as you do this one! <3

Recap:

A doctor walks past me and flickers his eyes to me, a look of disapproval on his face. I see the judgement in his eyes. I lower my head and my shoulders sag. I look at my skimpy skirt and mid-drift top, feeling ashamed of myself.

I shield my face from his gaze. I hate the smell of this hospital. It reminds me of the last time I was here.

I came home from school. My mother was on the kitchen floor, her wrists bleeding. I was only fifteen and I drove her to the hospital. I didn't even know how to drive. But I did.

Staggering to my feet, I fall on my knees on the hard floor and throw up into the bin, wishing I was anywhere else, but here.

------------------

"Where are you going?"

"Out!" I say in a rush as I sprint past mum and out the door.

I feel shaky as I fall behind the wheel. Every second that passes, feels like I'm slowly letting Miles down more and more.

When I pull into the car park, my tires crunch against the loose gravel. My headlights pour across the vacant lot, until they land on his motorbike. My stomach lurches. He's still here, which confirms my suspicions.

Something bad has happened.

I step out of my car and hesitantly walk towards the bike. It looks the exact same as it always does.

I keep quiet as I begin to search the grounds, once again, returning to the locker room. I begin to feel nauseous when I can't find anything. I scour the oval and the perimeter of the field. By the time I get to the bus shelter at the end of the oval, my shoulders are sagged and my feet dragging. I feel helpless until I see it.

Blood.

There is spots of blood covering the grass and some of the grass is flattened down, as if someone had been lying in it. I drop to my knees and let out a whimper.

Oh my God.

Feeling panicked, I leap to my feet and make a run for it. I throw myself into the driver seat, my heart beating so fast, it feels like it might jump out of my chest. My tires squeal against the road as I plant my foot, heading straight to the hospital. I can only hope he has made it to the hospital, if he's hurt.

I park my car under cover and hastily pay the machine. I walk in, rubbing my arms. The air conditioning is cool and the air is polluted with the smell of sensitisation.

My eyes are pulled to the waiting room. A dark-haired girl is hunched over, shivering. I blink a few times, recognising her.

"Emily?"

Her head snaps up at the sound of my voice. Her cheeks are stained with mascara and her eyes puffy. She gets to her feet, looking faint.

"It's Miles', isn't it?" I whisper, walking to her. "He's hurt?"

She nods weakly.

"I am so sorry, Isobel. I am so, so sorry," she cries, before weakly walking towards me.

She wraps her slender arms around me and I stiffen in surprise.

"This... This is my fault," she whispers.

***

The next few hours are a blur.

I sit in the waiting room, watching people rush in and out of the emergency room.