Chapter Forty Five

-----------------

Dedication: Vevesky98 for your comment on the last chapter. Thank you!

Recap:

None of us know what to say.

"So, yeah. That's all. I guess I'll see you around," he turns, before looking back. "Or not, actually."

He walks unhurriedly down our driveway. All you can hear is the sounds of his shoes scuffing the pavement and our quiet breathing. He gets into his car and calmly drives away, leaving us all completely and utterly stunned.

"Well," Jai says, rocking back onto the heels of his feet. "That was a bit unexpected."

Unexpected is the understatement of the century.

------------------

I hold my arm out for my brother. He hoists himself onto his feet and wobbles for a moment, before steadying.

"You okay?" I ask him.

"Better than ever," he grins.

It's been a couple weeks since the storm. School has re-opened and Finn is now able to withstand weight on his leg. The muscles have decreased so he still limps and struggles to maintain his usual pace, but he's able to walk without crutches now. We still have them at home, but he seems to be handling walking pretty good without them.

As we walk into school, girls are magnetically drawn to us, like they have been, despite Finn being off the market. He barely glances at them as he searches for Becca. I smile down at my feet as I walk.

I make a beeline to my locker, to get out the textbooks I need for the first two classes. I jump in fright as I shut the door and Samara is leaning beside me, her vibrant hair loosely curled.

"You'll never guess who was caught swapping spit behind the grandstand this morning," she smirks.

I give her a blank stare.

"Alec and Amy!" she gushes. "Did you see that coming?"

I blink at her and remain silent.

She clears her throat. "What?"

"So, you're acting like a friend again?" I ask her.

"Yes, we made up, remember?" she asks me in a duh voice.

"I don't remember you apologising," I say back, folding my arms so that my textbooks are pressed against my chest.

She narrows her eyes, letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry."

"Try a bit harder."

The stoic looks fades from her face and she chews at her lip. "I'm sorry for hurting you and Kiarra. You two were my best friends and I was horrible to you. My feelings were hurt and I reacted terribly. I missed you guys so much. It was all my fault... I'm sorry. Really, really sorry. I won't ever treat either of you like that again."

I raise my eyebrows as her eyes begin to moisten.

"Well played. Come here," I laugh, holding open my arms.

She melts into me as I hug her, resting my head on her shoulder.

"I love you, you cold-hearted bitch."

"I love you, too, hoe," she grins.

"You do realise you're going to probably have to get on your knees and beg for Kiarra's forgiveness, right?" I say her.

"Trust me, I know," she shudders.

"And if you ever try any of that shit with Miles again, I will probably punch you in the face." I warn her.