Chapter Twenty Six

--------------------

Dedication: xShyTeenWriterx for the wonderful comment you left on my last chapter. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face when I really needed it <3

Recap:

"Jai, take Alec to the nurse," Mrs Price commands, interrupting our glare match.

Jai nods and escorts Alec from the gym. I shake my head as I watch the two exit.

"Let me guess," Miles rolls his eyes. "That was about you?"

"How'd you know?" I reply in a dry voice as everyone's eyes swivel to me.

Will this day ever end?

-------------------

"So," I begin, clearing my throat awkwardly. "We need to talk."

I stare down at my mum and brother, who are sitting side by side, across the table from me. I lean onto my hands and keep my expression cool as I stare at them.

Finn has a sour look on his face as he stares down at the table. Mum is staring pointedly at the glass of water in front of her, picking at her nails, habit I also inherited.

"Finn, you're suspended and there's a chance you've lost your Captain position, which will not do you any favours for the scholarship you were hoping to get." I begin after a small intake of breath. "And mum, I understand that you're stressed and things are hard, but you cannot do this to us. Locking yourself in your room so you can drink your day away? How is that fair? We deserve better."

Mum looks stunned at my words, her face paling slightly. She noticeably swallows, tucking a piece of her curly hair behind her ear.

"And before you think I'm blaming the both of you, I'm at fault, too. We've all made bad decisions. We need to stick together and move on from here. Things need to be better."

"So, this is what I propose," I continue, trying to make my voice unwavering and strong. "Finn, you're going to attend all your Anger Management classes. You will try very hard to keep your grades up and maintain your Captain position. Everyone knows you're good, but you still need to work hard. You deserve a scholarship." I pause to catch my breath, my heart beginning to hammer inside my chest. "And mum, you need help. Things are getting bad and we need to stop them from getting worse. You need to go talk to someone. It's almost been two years. We can't use dad's death as an excuse anymore, no matter how much it hurts."

Finn nods, rubbing his face roughly. Mum presses her lips together and sighs, eventually nodding her head as well.

"Sound good?" I ask.

They nod again. I let out a breath as I walk to the fridge and have some water. That went better than I thought it would.

My phone vibrates in my pocket.

Miles: How did it go? Are you ready?

Isobel: I think so.

I hear them share a few words and I nervously drum my fingers on the bench, waiting for the familiar sound of Miles' motorbike to come roaring down the street. I squeeze my eyes shut when I hear it, the sound making me feel anxious, rather than relieved. A few moments later, there's a knock at the door.

"For you," I say to mum and take a nervous gulp of my water.

She gives me a curious look as she stands. Finn raises his eyebrows as she goes to get the door.

"Good speech, Is." he says with a smile, slapping me on the shoulder. "We needed a good kick up this ass."

"Still do," I reply with an eye roll.