Chapter 21

We had rode around  the whole perimeter of the cow pasture, before finding anything. Hunter had spent  the whole time jabbering about his family. He hadn't shut up for more than 30 seconds the entire time, so all I had to do was nod every once in a while and throw in the occasional 'yup', and I was good.
     "I'm boring you, aren't I?" He looked at me, still having the same optimism as before.
     "No." I replied curtly as I kept my eyes on the fence, looking for a hole.
    "Yeah, and I'm a rainbow ostrich." He rolled his eyes and looked back ahead, patting his horse on the neck.
     I turned towards him. "I'm just focused is all. You're fine."
     "But we need to talk." He reached across and grabbed the right side of my reins, gently pulling Ozzy to a stop. "We really need to talk."
     I already knew what we needed to talk about, but I decided to play dumb. "What about?"
     "Before the cows got out, what happened? Or should I say, almost happened."
     "I don't know what you're talkin' about." I ducked my head.
     "We almost kissed, that's what."
     Even though I already knew, it made it all the more embarrassing to be reminded of it. I didn't say anything.
     "You agreed to go to the dance with me tomorrow night. Why?" He cocked his head to the side, studying me.
     I still didn't say anything; I didn't know that answer myself.
     Fortunately, at that moment, I saw what we had been looking for. I saw a wide, gaping hole in the fence, right smack in between the two fence posts.
     Suspiciously, right in the middle. I turned Ozzy in that direction, and heard Hunter let out an exaggerated sigh. I breathed out in relief.
     I swung down, landing swiftly on my feet before flipping the reins over her head and handing them to Hunter.
     He took them reluctantly.
    I crouched down to inspect the bottom line of the barbed wire. It was a completely clean break.
    "What does it look like?" Hunter asked, still on his horse.
    "Its a clean break, most likely cut. If it was snapped it would have broken off by the post."
    "How do you know?"
    I inspected further. "Because. If one of the bulls had tried going through it, they would've pushed on it right about where the break is. The pressure would have been to much for the post to handle. The post probably would've just come straight out of the ground." I got up and checked the post. Still firm. "It was cut." I repeated, mounting Ozzy.
     Hunter just stared at me, not saying anything. He didn't say anything for the rest of the ride home, save for the few words he mumbled out about picking me up at six for the dance.
     I watched his truck pull out of the driveway, regretting not engaging with him.
     It was then that I realized, I may have just ruined any chance I might have with him.

     4:30 in the evening, and I still didn't have a dress for the dance. To say I was a little worried was an understatement. But why was I worried? I wasn't even supposed to want to go to this stupid dance.
     I tapped my phone against the palm of my hand anxiously, before checking the clock on the wall.
     4:33.
    At that moment, I heard a knock on the door.      
    I jumped off my bed and hurdled down the stairs, tripping over my feet in the process. My dumb teenage girl hormones were acting up. I slowed to a walk immediately before I got to the door. I opened it, and saw Hunter's mom standing on my front porch, a huge smile on her face. She was holding a gigantic dry cleaners bag, and a brief case with stickers covering the front of it.
    "Kate! I am so sorry I'm late. Let's go get you ready." She gave me a quick hug before letting herself in and walking up the stairs. She had never been in my house before, so I rushed up the stairs in an effort to make sure she didn't start setting up in dad's room. That could be a potentially awkward situation.
    Fortunately, she walked right into my room, tsking about the mess covering the floor.
    "Alright. Sit. Hair and makeup first."
    My heart dropped. Makeup. Hair. My nightmare begins.

      By 5:30, she had powdered and smeared gunk on my face until it satisfied her and curled my hair,  talking to herself the whole time. I stayed quiet, doing exactly as she told me. Finally, she handed me a small handheld mirror, a poignant grin covering her face.