Chapter 8

Hunter's p.o.v.
     "Hey, we should get something to eat, it's almost 1:30." I glanced over at Kate. She had her head leaned back against the seat with her eyes closed, and she was moving her mouth to the words of the music.
     "Sure." She didn't open her eyes.
     I made a few turns, and we were there. It was a little diner, that had the word 'Cutter's' above the door on a big sign.
      "Were here." I pulled the keys out of the ignition and hooked them onto my belt loop. I hurried around to her door before and opened it before she could. She stared at me like I had grown two heads.
      "What? I'm not allowed to open the door for a pretty lady?" I raised an eyebrow.
      "You can open the door for a pretty lady. Lucky for you, there isn't one around here." She hopped out and brushed past me. Man, she knew how to make an exit...
     I slammed the door and jogged after her, easily catching up. I reached around her and opened the door. She glared at me. Again.
     "Hey, wait. What do you mean, there are no pretty ladies around here?" I grabbed her arm.
     "Look around you, Hunter. Do you see any?" She asked.
     Duh! She gorgeous. And everything a guy could want!
     "Actually, I'm staring straight at one."
     She scoffed. "Bro, I knew you were dumb, but I didn't know you were blind."
     I opened my mouth to answer, but they guys at the counter interrupted. "Can I take your order?"
     I looked at the guy. He was some kid, didn't look much older than 18, he had dark hair and a lip piercing. Definitely not the kind of guy you'd see around here.  I saw the way he was checking Kate out. Almost like she was a glass of water, and he lived in the desert.
    She didn't notice. "Yeah, I'll just have a regular burger please. Everything on it." She smiled her dazzling smile at him, and he seemed partially stunned. She reached toward her back pocket for her wallet, but I butted in.
     "I'll have the same, and they're together." I said, looking directly at the guy. His name tag read, 'Chase.'
     I felt a small tug on my sleeve. I looked down, straight into Kate's fiery eyes. "Hunter. I can pay for my own." She growled.
     "I know." I raised an eyebrow and handed 'chase' a twenty. She huffed and stalked away.
     "I'll have that right out for you, sir." Chase said.
    I followed Kate toward the back, and sat down across from her.
    "You're not mad, are you?" I asked, as she stared out the window.
     "No. I just don't see why you feel the need to do everything for me. I can do it myself. I always have, and I always will."
    "I get that. You see, my mama raised me right. She said that a real country girl can do it on her own, but a real country boy won't let her. My mama raised me to be a real country boy. I'm gonna help you, whether you like it or not. That's what I was hired for."

Kate's p.o.v.
    Did he really say that? That's honestly, one of the sweetest things anyone's ever said to me.  I'm just not used to it.
     The guy who took my order came out with a tray of food and set it down in front of us. "You just scream if you need anything, aight?" He looked at me and winked. Something dropped into my lap. It was a piece of paper. I looked up and he was gone.
     I glanced over at Hunter, and saw his hands clenched into fists on the table. I opened the paper.
      Call me, cowgirl. Don't be shy. And then there was a number written.
    Wait, was that guy... Hitting on me? He was kinda attractive, I guess, if you can get passed the lip ring and emo hair... Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not my type.
     "Well, are you gonna eat or not?" Hunter asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. He had already started eating.
     "Uh, yeah."

A/N: so, there's an update! Yay! You guys think Hunter's jealous???? Huh? Huh? Meybe?
So, I don't want you guys thinking I have anything against emo people. I definitely DON'T! It's just not Kate's type.. does that make sense? The last thing I wanna do I offend any of my awesome readers! ILY guys sm!!!