|| Chapter Nineteen - Tense ||

Start from the beginning

   "You've opened your stitches again." I countered, pointing my fork at his side. Devon's eyes widened, he looked down and swore under his breath. He should really wash his mouth out with soap, the soapiest soap he can find. It'd take more than holy water to forgive him of his verbal sins.

   "I'm sick of this." He muttered.

   "Of what?" Intrigued, I asked. Probably a little too eagerly than I'd intended. I was still fighting the flush from his- now concealed- stomach. His hair was scattered messily over his forehead, some strands clinging to it. His eyes were bright and occasionally a glint would come from his piercing in his brow.

   "Being restricted." His voice was still tight with anger. Not something I could help with unfortunately. It's not as if he'll be putting his head in my lap anytime soon. I blushed when I countered my thoughts, giggling to myself childishly, "You think it's funny?" He spat.

   "No, not that. It's not important." I breathed, "but hey, if you'd have listened and just taken it easy you wouldn't be in this situation." I continued to prod at my breakfast. Devon frowned, flicking his eyes from the plate to myself.

   "Fair." He shrugged, cocking his head to the side, "Something wrong with the food?" He asked. I shook my head and made a small noise.

   "No. Nothing, I'm just not hungry." I said simply. I noticed his hand reaching for the plate, a small smile made its way onto my lips as he tugged the plate towards himself. He plucked the fork from my hand and began eating. I hadn't eaten much of it, a few chunks of bacon basically.

   "I've eaten with that fork." I stated, folding my arms on top of the table.

   Devon looked up at me and shrugged again, his mouth moving slowly as he chewed, "and?" He mused.

   "Nothing. Just saying." My tone was defeated. It was obvious there was something wrong and I held a grudge on myself for it.

   Devon threw the cutlery on the plate and folded his broad arms, he sat back and looked at me suspiciously.

   "What's the problem?" He asked. His voice has lost its tightness, it was more of an interrogating tone now, however... there was definitely concern. Him and his concern.

   I sighed, "It's a lot." I said simply, picking at my nails.

   He nodded, his tongue prodding at the side of his mouth. He took a deep breath, running his tongue over his lower lip, and leant forward.

    "I get it." He stated, "I promise, we will find your mom, we will get rid of Isaac and you can go back to being a normal critical schoolgirl obsessed with hot guys and chick flicks." I smiled at his attempt at lightening the situation.

   "Obsessed with hot guys and... chick flicks?" I chuckled. Devon nodded, sprawling his arms wide and smirking.

   "I am excellent at reading people." He said confidently, "it's a gift."

   I rolled my eyes, "I'm not so sure." I reasoned, "you see, I'm an analytical schoolgirl obsessed with kind matured boys and comedies." I teased.

   Devon barked a laugh, "Bullshit." He mused.

   "Okay fine, badboys." I reasoned, "and maybe I am critical but you still got the movie genre wrong." I crooned, "So you got one right." Devon groaned, throwing his head back. I laughed at his defeated expression.

   He stood up and discarded the remnants of food on the plate, "Close enough." He reasoned, "What is your favourite genre?" He walked up to the side of the counter and leant across it so his face was inches from mine.

   I blushed, "Horror." I said after a while. He looked at me funny for a moment before slowly dragging himself off the counter.

   "Horror?" He asked.

   "Yup." I breathed, the heat draining from my cheeks.

   "Noted." He clicked his fingers and made his way to the door, "Come on." He added before slipping out the door.

   What have I gotten myself into?

Awww, I love Daria moments.

By the way, I sort of want them to develop a relationship faster because I think I want to sequel this thing! Oh yeah!

©️//®️

•