The Darker Side 4

Yan Da watched the healer as he ate. He was quiet and was holding unto the sword that she recognized as Yue Shen's. She didn't dare to ask, hoping that she was wrong. But if she isn't, her heart went out to him. She knew his affections for the toxin healer.

"If you're done, you can take a bath outside. The spring is connected to a hot one in the east side." She said, getting up. She then got some clothes in the treasure chest. She smiled when she saw what she got, tracing the outline of its design lovingly.

Huang Tuo didn't miss the act. "Whose is it?"

Yan Da blinked, stopping her action. "A friend."

"Are you sure you want me to use it?" Huang Tuo asked again with hesitance. She said a friend but he's familiar with those longingly looks. Yan da smiled, putting the clothes beside him.

"He doesn't use them anymore." She simply replied, getting a big towel out for him. "You should hurry before it gets too late. You're tired aren't you?"

He nodded about to go out when he stopped. It was dark. He has bad memories of it. "C-can... you... go... w-with me?"

Yan Da who noticed the fear in his voice checked on Xing Gui before nodding.

Outside...

Sounds of crickets filled the air, it was peaceful. Fireflies were also everywhere decorating the place. It was beautiful and magical. That relaxed, Huang Tuo but still he didn't want to be alone. He had been alone for so long. Hiding here and there in order to survive.

"I'll stay here." Yan Da said behind the rock. Huang Tuo bit his lip, giving her a down casted look. She sighed, changing her mind. "I'll sit on top so that you can see me."

He nodded. When he went in, Yan Da settled herself on the rock. Her back turned to him. Once in a while he would look in there to check if she was still there. Yan Da could feel his unease. She smiled. "Should I sing while you bathe?"

"Please," he answered.

Yan Da nodded, clearing her throat she began to sing.

The purest competition is without any hatred or revenge

Must give my everything in order for my life to be complete

How sincere am I when I face your soul?

Huang Tuo closed his eyes, remembering the last person he was with. Yue Shen, his beloved. His wife. He let out a sad smile, opening his eyes. He looked at the sky. He lost her.

I'll do anything to stay ablaze

I cannot wait. I can only concentrate

The air naturally grows warmer as well

The two of them were captured by the same man. One of Yuan Ji's guardian's, Qing Ren. He was ruthless, making them his puppet. Just for a show. They escaped one night. But because of a mistake, Luna sacrificed herself for him to live. He could still hear her screams in his mind. He didn't want to leave her but she pushed him into the river. Telling him to live. It was difficult but he did. For her... for their people.

~~~

Huang Tuo and Luna looked at each other, giving each other a comforting smile. They haven't talked about it. Their feelings for each other. They're still in the awkward stage. But watching this, they held each other's hands under the table.

They didn't need to say it out loud. Their feelings for each other are clear. When this is done, they'd talk. They'd make things clear. No more hiding. No more shying away.

The scene made them realize that life is indeed short. You need to grab the chance while you can and spend it with the people you treasure the most because you don't know when they'll be gone.

~~~

Since in this life, I am fated to be your enemy

I cannot taint this holy destiny

Hearing the lyrics, Huang Tuo's eyes went to Yan Da, focusing on her. Her voiced changed. It was laced with sorrow and love. He frowned. The person she loves... is her enemy?

Surely I will move mountains, overturn oceans

Slash through every victory in order to demonstrate my sincerity

It's too important

Who else can compare with me?

Though, there's a lot of questions in his mind. He just focused on himself, washing away the grime and dirt on his body. He grimaced when he felt the clumped of dirt in his hair. How disgusting.

Meanwhile Yan Da's mind was somewhere else...

It went back when she was fighting one of her soldiers and Yun Fei suddenly appeared, talking to her about taking her own path. Not following her father's footsteps. She smiled. Even if she acted arrogantly in front of him, she heeded his words. Imprinting them in her heart. He's right. She knew that if she continued being in the shadows of her brothers' and father's she'd be engulfed by them completely, becoming the person that she hates.

I will never again be able to find someone who understands me this well

Every move of mine is clear as the creases in your palm

Every time our fists brush past, palms clash, every determined gaze

Stirs awake the excitement deep within my nerves

Victory cannot be determined

Only then will I be not be able to sleep peacefully

~~~

Now, Flame is really curious about this Yun Fei. He was a bit angry and amused. How dare a lowly servant affect his daughter this much!? But at the same time he admired the courage.

He was also able to change his daughter in a way. Unknown to him, that he was only a few feet away from him. Watching the screen in silence, hiding a smile behind his cold mask because of what he heard.

~~~