2. Oh how sweet love can be

Start from the beginning

“Come in,” I said. The door opened, and I was surprised to see Rick standing there.

“I need to talk to you,” he said and looked serious. Anna took the hint and made some lame excuse about being thirsty. As she ran down the stairs Rick gave me a sign to sit down. I slowly sat down and looked curiously at him. What was wrong?

“You know I care about you a lot, right?” he said while waiting for me to agree. I nodded slowly and waited anxious for him to continue. “We have been together for about 6 months now, and to skip all the lame excuses I’ll just jump right to the point,” he said before taking a deep breath. Was he about to propose or something? I certainly didn’t want that. We were only eighteen, which was way too young. “I found someone else,” He said quickly and waited for my reaction. It took me a moment to process his words. His brown eyes were filled with some sort of concern. Surprisingly I started laughing.

“Well I knew I was bad at breaking up, but this actually beats mine,” I said with a smile. He looked like he was about to fall over. Apparently he was expecting another reaction.

“Are your serious?” he asked completely shocked. That just made me smile even bigger. For a moment I wasn’t sure if he was about to laugh or cry. To be honest my smile was as fake as his feelings for me, which said a lot. I guess I was just lucky to be one of the persons that managed to hide my true feelings no matter what. Of course hearing that your boyfriend has find someone else sets its mark, but crying wouldn’t make anything better, everything would just get worse. As the mood in the room got really awkward I found out that there was one thing I had to know. I was completely serious and wouldn’t let him look anywhere else than in my eyes.

“Have you slept with her?” I asked with a voice that sounded like all emotion was pulled away from it. Without daring to keep looking at me he nodded slowly with his eyes locked on my floor.

“I love her, and as you have told me a million times you don’t want to be serious. I understand that the word love means a lot to you, but at some time you have to let yourself love somebody. I did, and it’s not a horrible thing,” he said.

I looked at him with lightning eyes, what the hell was he thinking? Not only did he break up with me in worst way possible, but he was giving me a lecture on how to let myself love. Wasn’t that a bit ironic? Teaching me about love while breaking up.

“You can get out now,” I said with a forced smile.

 “Erm, I’m sorry” He said and looked at me. It looked like he was supposed to walk away but in the last second he turned around and finally met my eyes. “Seriously, I don’t get it. You can open your legs to me, but not your heart. That just doesn’t make any sense,” He said. I was about to explode in that moment, but somewhere inside me I told my self that he wasn’t worth it.

“Well now you just gave me a terrific reason to open my legs not my heart,” I said with a voice as cold as ice, before I pointed at the door. As the door closed I fell down at my bed. The tears weren’t far away but luckily they didn’t have the time to come before Anna ran threw the door.

“Oh my god,” she said and looked at me with big eyes. I looked at her.

“What?” I asked. She was clearly very upset, had she heard everything?

“I was standing outside listening to your conversation,” she said and her eyes tear up. I gave her a surprised look. Of course she did, why would that surprise me? She gave me a hug and stroke me gently across my back. There was an awkward silence. I was about to ask what the hell she was doing but I found something better to say. She pulled away from me and studied me closely.

“So now we at least can have a real girl’s night out, without worrying about any boys,” I said and half smiled. Her blue eyes widened even more. For a moment it was really hard to tell what she felt. But then it was like a thought struck by her and gave her all the answers.

“Come on, you don’t have to play it cool with me. I’m your best friend, you can cry in front of me,” She said and sat beside me. Gently she laid an arm around me to comfort me. Without knowing what to do I just sat there. No tears were threatening to fall anymore. There was an awkward silence. She looked at me, and again she seemed upset. “Why the hell aren’t you crying? Your boyfriend just broke up with you in the worst way ever! He basically called you a whore!” she almost shouted.

“Because I’m not sad. Do you know why? Because I have finally found someone that’s worse at breaking up than me. I at least gave some good reasons,” I said and stood up.

Her mouth was open, for the first time I knew exactly what she thought. How the hell could I joke about this? To answer the question that she never asked I just shrugged.

“Ready to go?” I asked and found my purse. That made her fold her arms in front of her chest. Slowly she shook her head.

“I know you to well, you will just try to drink it all away. You know what? You are not going anywhere until you admit and dare to show some feelings. How the hell can cry that much from movies, but when it’s your own life you make jokes about it?” she asked clearly frustrated.

“Because it’s never the same in real life. I guess I’m just a really screwed up girl,” I said attempting to light up the mood in the room. It was clearly not working because that made her look even more frustrated.

“I’m going to go home. Call me when you are ready to admit that you are a real person,” she said and walked.

“No wait, I admit that I’m a real person, I’m just not sad right now,” I said trying to save our night. It was well planned and it would be a real shame to let it go to waste.

“So you are ready to cry?” she asked hopefully. I looked at her.

“No? I’m not going to cry, because I’m not sad,” I said starting to get a bit irritated.

“Then you should enjoy your night home alone,” she said with an angry voice. Usually we never ever argued, but I guess this was an exception in our rather perfect friendship.

Well, she wasn’t my mother so she couldn’t force me to sit at my room and cry. That was when I thought of it. Wouldn’t a little trip cheer me up?

-------------------------------

Tell me what you think!