Chapter 7

"Thanks for helping me, Greyson." I say. I lead Conway into the round pen, while Greyson sits on the fence. Today is Conway's first time with a saddle on. I clip the lunge-line onto his halter and allow him to look at what's on his back. 

He looks back, then calmly walk around to explore the round pen. I ask him to trot, but he goes off bucking and galloping. I gently tun on the lunge-line, in an attempt to get him to slow down. It doesn't work.

"Let him run." Greyson says, "He'll stop eventually."

I follow Greyson command and wait for Conway to run out of energy. He slows down to a trot and calmly goes around me. I ask him to change direction, but he rears and gallops toward me. I step out of the way.

Conway broncs some more, so I slow him down and bring him back to the barn. I sigh in frustration. Greyson comes in and helps me to untack. I rinse Conway down, then put him in the paddock.

"It will be a lot better next time." Greyson says. I nod. We finish our daily chores before I go inside. 

"Mom?" I call out. No response. She must have gone out. I try to distract myself by reading and doing homework. By the time I finish, I find myself going stir crazy. I go outside and get Ace. I tack him up the ride to the back arena. Nobody ever uses it.

I warm him up then set up some 2'3" jumps. I trot him over the cross rail and rollback to the green vertical. He pops over them perfectly. I push him into a canter and take him over a white and blue oxer.

"Good boy!" I say, while patting his neck. I canter him over the cross rail again, then over the oxer. How was I blessed with such an amazing horse. I decide to raise the jumps to 2'6". I canter him over the cross rail, then over the vertical, and lastly the oxer. 

"Great job, Ace!" I exclaim. I cool him off then walk back to the barn. It's already feeding time. Greyson is nowhere in sight, so I feed all the horses for him. After five minutes, he still doesn't show up. I decide to text him.

Hey, don't worry about feeding the horses. I already did ;)

I wait for an hour to respond. I'm usually not one to obsess over how long it takes for someone to respond to a text, but Greyson usually responds quickly. After nearly two hours, I get a text.

Can you pick me up?