XL

Inertia Louis

The clock struck 12 and I grabbed my purse. I checked if mom was asleep and if it was safe to leave. Once I was sure she was sleeping, I tip toed out of my house and walked till the second block were a bike was waiting for me. I couldn't really take my car because turning it on would wake my mother up and she can't know this. I put on the helmet and rode the bike to a Chinese restaurant that's open until 2 am. Taking a seat at one of the tables in the centre, I waited for my PI to arrive. That's when I got a call. 

"Ma'am, I'm at the restaurant but I can not see you." my PI said. 

"Look at your right." I replied. He saw me and walked towards the table after hanging up. 

"I'm so sorry, your clothes... I couldn't recognise you." He said.

"It's okay." It wasn't his fault. I've made my life so miserable that all I wear is formals. Today however, I was wearing a leather jacket, tank top and blue shorts. Even if someone known sees me here today, they mostly likely won't recognise me and that's exactly what I need. 

"Do you have what I need?" I asked,

"I do." He said.

"Then tell me." 

"I saw the exchange of money take place. That guy who picks up the garbage, sends a money order to an abandoned bungalow on the outskirts of the city. Only on the day that the cash arrives, there is a servant in that house who takes the money. Then after exactly one hour, a man comes and gets the money. I have a reason to believe that he's the guy you're looking for." 

"Why do you think so? And why not just collect the money himself? Why have such a long process?" I asked.

"The money trail ends there. I kept a track of the movements of this guy but that's it. The money stays with him. So 99%, he's our guy. About the length of this trail, it is long to confuse whoever tries to track the money. These people are very smart." 

"Who is the guy? What is his name?" I asked.

"It's your business partner, Blake." 

"Is this some kind of a sick joke?" I asked.

"I thought you wouldn't believe me so I got pictures." My PI had pictures of everything. The money being dropped in the trash can, a man taking away all the trash and removing the money, the very same guy with the money order receipt and the address of the bungalow, the servant taking the money order and the last picture was the servant handing the money order to Blake. 

It felt like the world around me was spinning. It felt as if I was living a lie. He is my best friend, the only person I trusted enough to be my friends. The person I trusted despite all my trust issues. But now somethings make sense. That phone call he was on where he was speaking in a hushed tone, the way he hung up as soon as he saw me, then this other time when he already knew what I was going to tell him about Zach and me. It all makes sense. He was the best informer my mother could find because I told him everything! How could I be so naïve?

That's it. No more. I'm not going to be blackmailed into marrying Mike and I'm done acting too. It is time that the world knows how much I love Zach even if it means losing my business. I have to talk to my lawyer, I'm getting this settled once and for all. Immediately, I rang Tessa's phone. Tessa is my lawyer and a good friend of mine too. 

"Inertia, it's 1 am, is everything okay?" She asked after picking up the call.

"No, I need to see you right now." I said.

"Come home. My boyfriend's not coming home today. We can talk here." Tessa said.

"Okay, I'll be there." I drove to Tessa's house and she kindly let me in and offered some beer. She knows how I roll.

"What is it Inertia?" She asked.

"It's a legal matter and I was hoping if you could help." I asked.

"I'm your lawyer, that's what I do." She smiled.

"You know the relationship my mother and I have, she's blackmailing me into getting married. I have the proof and everything, I need you to make a case." I said,

"Oh my god of course. It will be ready first thing in the morning. Just as the court opens. But I need to know what she's blackmailing you with."

"I'm dating my ex-employee. We were still working together when we started dating. She has photos from when we had sex and an informer who's told her other things and may take the stand against me." I sighed.

"Okay but do you realize that if you pursue this, the pictures will come out in open court, and the media will sauce this up." 

"That is my second problem. If this happens, the shareholder will vote me out of power which will mean I won't be the CEO, I will lose charge of my companies. I can't let that happen. The worst part is that the guy informing about me is my partner."

"There is a way out." 

"Really?" 

"We will have to take your company private with only certain trusted private company holders who you can blindly trust."

"Yes, that stops the other directors and shareholders but what about Blake?" I asked.

"One of the two things will happen to him. If he's smart enough, he will accept my immunity offer in the blackmailing case and in exchange of immunity he has to let the company go. Otherwise I will win the blackmailing case for you and Blake will no more be a problem. But remember, you will suffer financial losses and so will your business. You need to be prepared with a shit load of money to pull all your businesses out of the public market." Tessa assured.

"Don't worry about the money, I can make arrangements and I'll recover the losses."

"Then we're good to go."

"Do you think we can pull this off?" I asked.

"Oh trust me, there's nothing those guys can do. Your mother and Blake won't know what hit them. Prepare to call off the wedding. Those two are going down." Tess smirked.