Chapter 51: Malook

Once again, guards were in my cell to take me to the General, presumably. Alg had likely made it to the compound directly after my visit with Sheif and now that another hour or more had passed, they'd no doubt discussed the situation and come to a conclusion on how to proceed.

I didn't imagine this meeting would go well, though I had decided if Sheif was indeed positively interested in the cause, she would do something, however slight, to steer Alg away from suspicion of rebellion and towards the other parts of my case.

She had basically described the man as disagreeable, so if a true supporter, she wouldn't lend any aid to his focus on our faction. As well, even if her reasons were selfish, doing this would still show me, who she was convinced was involved, of her willingness to aid. From what the General had told me, I felt it wouldn't be a difficult feat anyway.

I took what she said to mean that Alg was more scientifically focused or, at least, politically. Stressing scientific advancement did not necessarily mean an individual was concerned with helpful progression. Knowledge was powerful. Not only did it breed technology which meant weapons and domination, but heightened understanding allowed for manipulation and control.

Most definitely in a world such as Galdelier, where the public was kept uninformed, science had even greater strength. I remembered during a conversation with Connie, I had learned that largely, advancements in science, technology, and the like were released freely to the Earth's population. I hadn't honestly believed it at first.

However, thinking about how chaotic their planet's governing systems were, I ended up figuring they were probably telling the truth. Not that I thought they would lie; it was just I felt they thought they were let in when they were really very uneducated...like most Galdelierians. Then again, I was sure not all information was given to them. Humans just didn't work that way. And all in all, their humanity was nigh identical to ours.

After the three of us reached our destination, a room conjoined to the first I had been taken to but that was indeed meant for interrogation, I saw that the second General was standing with the first, an amused look on his face as he laid eyes on me. Sheif, on the other hand seemed slightly less reserved than before, though I couldn't tell what the difference in her was.

To her side was her human guard, wielding a shock baton and carrying both a rifle and a spra. On Alg's side opposite, stood a vampiric guard, armed with nothing except her own brute strength.

My two officer escorts nudged me forward until I was standing in the middle of the room, a comfortable distance from the Generals, before they slowly took paces back, retreating from the room.

They would stay nearby on the opposite of that wall in case they were needed, but such proceedings were only allowed to be witnessed by the Generals involved and, of course, their personal guards. Once the door fell shut behind me, Alg was the first to speak.

"Your assistant has made quite the fuss over you," he grinned wickedly.

I sighed inwardly. I didn't need to have much experience with the man personally to know the type. His goals were most assuredly personal gain. There was no nobility in his quest for knowledge.

Arrogance ebbed from his being thicker than the heated blood my heart was currently pumping with much labor. This might end up quite painful, but so be it. I wouldn't bow to the likes of him...or of Sheif for that matter.

Ignoring his words, I kept a placid expression and actually allowed an audible exhale this time. As expected, it angered him. His smirk fell, as did his brow, and he turned a glare.

While he took a step toward me, my vision cut to his guard. The vampire expressed herself just like the multitude of her species, by not expressing herself at all. It was idiotic, but I realized I only gave her my attention because I was thinking about Sulru.