Chapter 6: Connie

"I'm called Malook," the dark-skinned man answered me calmly, his arms still outstretched in the air at his sides.

Without turning my head, I rolled my eyes around in their skull to scan for any sign of others out in the desert. Once again, there was nothing to find. As my vision settled back on the strange man, I studied him. I had been correct about his clothes: they were no uniform.

In the darkness, it was hard to make out their colors, but my best guess was a pale brown and they appeared to be all one piece; like robes, almost. There seemed to be a few different layers of the cloth folded over upon itself and it was free-formed, flowing just past his knees.

His facial structure was strong except for his thin, pointed nose. His jawline was prominent as was his chin. His hair was long and pulled back into some sort of a loose bun and was just a shade lighter than his flesh. He was neither tall nor short, fat nor thin. He definitely wasn't a soldier, however was far too clean and well-kept to be a homeless wanderer.

The fabric he wore was strange,yet it was his odd assortment of features that really had me boggled.His look was quite unique to anything I'd ever come across,specifically the green orbs he'd been focusing on me with.

"I don't intend for any trouble," he stated plainly, "I'm only looking for help."The man seemed to speak perfect English despite his exotic appearance, though he did bear an unfamiliar accent. He had to be a foreigner of some sort. But why the hell would he be alone out in the middle of- my curiosity burned greater then. Was he from whatever craft it was that John had seen earlier?

"Mull-" I started questioningly.

"Malook," he repeated.

"Right," I gave a curt nod, not bothering to hide my scrutiny, "What are you doing out here?"

"I-" Malook's head turned slightly to the side like he was looking behind him for support. My gaze followed; it was just the two of us. "I apologize if I've broken any of your laws," he spoke nervously,"It wasn't our intention to land, but we've had trouble with our equipment."

"Our?" I barely caught the wording.

The man hesitated, "Yes...my companions and I," he said finally.

It wasn't our intention to land, the words repeated in my head. He had to be part of what all the fuss had been about this evening. Now to tell where he- they had come from.Were they extraterrestrial aliens? Or just aliens? Even with his unusual appearance, he still looked entirely human. "Where are you coming from?" I tilted my head, weapon still aimed firmly upon the stranger. Except for to turn his own head and shift on his feet, he had remained unmoved at the other end of the P38'sbarrel...until I asked that.

He took a handful of small, quicksteps forward, arms falling a few inches from their strict positioning. In my mind, it was the beginning of a dart in my direction so I shook my gun at him, simultaneously trying to backpedal. I had always had the heart of a healer and viewed offense as a last resort. Therefore, it wasn't much of a surprise that my body's natural response to retreat failed, as I was already backed against my vehicle.

With the attempt, I tripped,falling into my car and hitting my head on the frame at the roof. The collapse caused me to lose hold on the pistol, and it dropped somewhere on the ground just outside my door. On my way down, my brain caught up to the fact that Malook had not bound for me. Those couple of paces had been all he had taken until he saw my accident;and only then had he rushed forward.

The moment it was over, I lay on my butt, my back halfway reclined and my legs in a scramble, hanging out the open vehicle. The man was towering over me, his almost luminescent emerald eyes staring downward, stirring fear in my being for the moment. But then, he reached out, offering an open palm with a subtly concerned expression. Although I furrowed my brow, I still returned a thankful smile, albeit a weak one, upon realizing his kind gesture.