Chapter 9: John

I had always known the outcome if we ever happened to take a sentient extra-terrestrial into custody. I didn't necessarily like that other life-forces of equal or similar intelligence would have to endure such treatment, yet at the same time, I accepted that some things had to take place in order to ensure our own safety.

Rotating to face my wife once we were alone, I read her easily. She knew. Even with my easily-excitable personality when it came to such things, it was she who was the less rational and more optimistic...especially when it came to judging others and their intention. That being said, I could tell that she had already grown fond of this alien, Malook.

Putting my hand on her shoulder, I managed a smile, "Let's go to the break rooms and talk there."

She acknowledged me with a sigh, and spun on her heels to return the way we had come. As we strolled, I grabbed her hand which was hanging down at her side, and squeezed it without turning her way. Although she was aware of where things were going concerning the ETs, I would still have to explain it to her exactly. Not that she was dim-witted, of course. Only so that she was with absolute certainty of the events.

Once we reached the medical wing, we boarded the usual elevator; the one that Malook had been sent away in was strictly for reaching the more restricted areas of the base. Riding in silence, I made sure not to let her hand free and occasionally, I would tighten my grasp of it. We rose a few underground levels higher, to the floor that held the dormitories and other rest areas. It was largely a precautionary setup and wasn't used except rarely...at least not to a large occupancy.

We found our way past a few open doors and into the main room. Inside were couches, cushioned seats, a television set, pool table, and a small kitchen. Near the kitchen was a metal folding table surrounded by matching chairs. Connie let go of me then, and went to the table, pulling out one of its pieces from underneath before plopping down, her head laying to rest in front of her. Poor thing, she had pulled a late shift at work today already and afterward had to deal with all this.

I went past her to the cabinets beyond, "I'm going to make some coffee. Do you want some?"

She flopped her head to the side so that eyes were on me, "Sure," she answered halfheartedly.

I retrieved the coffee grounds and filters and placed them on the counter next to the maker below. It was an older machine. Nobody really paid it much attention, but every time I saw it, I made a mental note to bring a newer model in so that the blends would come out fresher. Obviously, I kept forgetting to make those notes a reality. Exhaling, I made the brew anyway.

"So are you going to talk to me or..." Connie was still staring from her odd resting position.

"Well, your friend is definitely not from this galaxy," I started, causing her to lift her head at the phrasing. Out of the corner of my vision, I saw her expression become defensive. She started to say something, but decided against it. So I continued, "The colonel informs me that communications with the UN confirms no space or avian crafts are missing; nor are there personnel gone with access to any such machines."

Connie sat up as I flipped the coffee maker on and turned to face her, leaning back against the counter, "And?" she prodded.

"And we've been ordered to begin operations to gain access to the UFO," I finished.

"What about the people inside?" she said with sudden and blatant concern.

"They'll be brought in, just like Malook," I continued, "Connie, you know all this. We have to learn the extent of their knowledge and what they plan to do with it, as well as assess the immediate and distant threats they may pose. You should be thankful of Malook's apparent awareness of how such things generally work.