Chapter 48: Sulru

Speaking any further to Otahn would have been futile. The man had made up his mind and although logically, I couldn't argue with his decision, I wondered what exactly could be done to warrant his attention on the matter. Sheif or Alg calling him in or if something were to happen where the information came to his notice in a casual way would allow him to take part.

My mind instantly began contemplating in what instances such a thing would not seem conspicuous. It didn't matter what I could come up with though, because even being able to say he was aware, there was nothing he could do to remove Malook and the Earth people from the situation, outside of somehow convincing the other Generals that my friend had been framed. He could perhaps vouch for leniency.

Even then, depending on what more evidence was presented and the mindsets of the other Generals, this would do little, unless Sheif and Alg were in full agreement and dismissed all proof entirely.

The chances of that were not even small; I doubted their existence altogether. Otahn would absolutely not risk such an attempt; not when there was no immense or imminent threat to the faction and at present, there was not.

Everything in the system had to do with the alien affair. Mote and I had left the General's home the way we had come, after alerting him to the damage on his property. He seemed slightly aggravated at the news, but I assumed it was less to do with the break-in itself and more with my having bothered him overall.

"So what's the plan?" Mote's tone was casual as we boarded the rover once more.

"What do you mean?"

"What. Are. We. Dooooing?" the man stretched out the rewording deliberately in order to sound as if he were speaking to an idiot, knowing it was only going to piss me off.

"I would assume," I growled, "That you would go back home." To be honest, with as much as he enraged me, the thought of him tagging along was actually comforting, even if I had naught a clue as to my next move.

The vampire paused, turning a stare on me as we both settled into our seats and I readied the engine, "Well, I would assume," he threw the phrase back at me, "That you would like help freeing your boss."

I inhaled sharply before twisting my neck so that I faced him, "Why are you doing this?"

Mote gave an obvious shrug, "Why not?"

I scoffed, "You must have a reason. Nobody puts their life in this much danger without good cause."

Another shrug.

"I hate the system," he answered plainly, eyes forward while leaning back and curling his arms above him in a relaxed pose.

I shook my head, "That may be so, but springing Malook isn't going to bring about change. And if you're seen, you'll be put to death alongside me."

"Stupid tawsey," he grinned, staying in his position, "Expecting to get caught is just setting yourself up for failure."

My gaze kept on him, desperately trying to bore into his mind and see where his real thoughts lay. Out of all his indiscretions and the sketchy ordeals he had been a part of, he had never once, to my knowledge, endured negative repercussion. I did know that he had lived in many different cities before settling in Contuin.

For a vampire, this meant that he had been transferred numerous times. That, of course, usually coming from being needed elsewhere or being rendered inefficient at your current post. He had maintained the lowest rank, pointing to the latter being the truthful reason behind his relocations.

My gaze returned to facing forward. Chattering voices carried on the wind, alerting us to the presence of a citizen couple walking across the sidewalk in front of the buildings we had parked behind, the small space visible from our spot. The two didn't even glance back or hesitate, completely oblivious of the strange sight of two vampires without human escort in a rover in their neighborhood.