Chapter 49: John

"Who are you? It's a simple question. Give an honest answer and I assure you this will all go much more smoothly."

After what I best estimated as three hours, the man had come into my cell and said it in the same instant. There had been no introductions, no once-overs, no time wasted at all. He simply walked in with the armed woman from earlier, and started in.

The suddenness had taken me off-guard, though I did well in not showing it. I only stared back at him from my spot on the ground, leaning against the back wall while I thought.

The woman kept her rifle trained on me and maintained the same indifferent demeanor as before. She stood directly to the side of her counterpart, who did not seem to share in her apathy. Instead, he seemed fixated upon me, almost eager for me to deny cooperation.

Although that would normally speak that he was of a cruel mindset and wanted a struggle, it actually set me at ease. It wasn't that I was unafraid; it was just that such treatment was recognizable. It was something common on Earth and my being was oddly comforted by the familiarity.

That being said, it was easier to then contemplate how I should respond. Malook had suggested that we be honest and work with them. As logical as it was that I should trust the General since we were in his playing field, I just couldn't seem to relent to speaking freely with my captor. This wasn't for some sensible train of thought either.

It was a gut feeling. My instinct, I suppose. Connie rarely worked with rational logic first. She was emotional and mostly did what 'felt' right to her. Under such grave circumstances was probably the worst time to try out her way of doing things, yet even when my brain tried to put details together to formulate the best approach, I couldn't ignore this unknown urge in my psyche to resist.

Maybe it was because my wife was in danger and I could not reach out to touch her and comfort either of us. Maybe the soul was real and mine was connecting to my mate in order to use her strengths during my time of uncertainty...or perhaps something more tangible such as the inkling that they did not realize I was an alien. In any matter, I gazed back at the interrogator standing in front of me, kept somber and kept silent.

The man, whose uniform was identical to the woman's, smirked. His blue eyes appeared false next to the mocha complexion of his skin, which somehow added to his aggressive stance. He stepped forward and placed a boot on my ankle too quickly for me to retrieve it. The shoes he wore were extremely heavy, probably weighted with steel or a similar material.

I had noticed that most Galdelierian attire was light or at least was in Contuin's region. I had seen one or two of the humans at the station, where I was meant to work, wear boots similar to this and still I hadn't guessed how massive they were. He tilted his body forward and pressed the entirety of his weight down upon my leg.

I attempted to pull away, yet somehow could not manage, so I instead focused myself on not letting it show that I was bothered. Despite having a high tolerance for pain, this guy was quite large and the added pressure of his nearly spiked boots on my joint was testing my strength. The annoyed look on his face assured me that he wasn't getting what he was aiming for, which pleased me.

I returned a grin.

He suddenly lifted his foot and I allowed my eyes to cut over to the woman, whose attitude had changed from indifferent to uncertain. It was another thing I had witnessed in my career: an order was being disobeyed or, at the very least, smudged.

My attention was soon upon my attacker again as he lunged forward, downward, and grabbed hold of my tunic. His brawn was evident in how easily he lifted me from the ground and slid my body up the wall. My smirk shifted to a glare when his lips curled in a wicked smile.