Chapter 14: John

"Connie...Connie..."

I sat on the edge of the bed where she lay, hardly moving in response to my gentle nudging. Poor thing. It had been the hundredth time I thought it this night, yet it was warranted, knowing how terribly long and taxing her day had been. My wife wasn't a high-strung person or one to cave under pressure, yet considering her bleeding heart, then with this particular, I was surprised she hadn't fallen dead asleep far before now.

She took way too much upon herself and although I had to admire her compassion and even her optimism at times, I hated how much they could destroy her if she let them. That was why I always did my best to keep her grounded. With one more push, the woman started to wake.

"Hey," I whispered, smiling on her, "How are you feeling?"

She stretched and yawned as she began to sit up next to me, her lips curling, "Hey, John. Sorry, I dozed off."

"I'm glad you were able to get a little nap," I replied, "Nothing to apologize for."

I reached an arm around her side and rubbed her back. She leaned into me, completing the hug, then cleared her throat and started in with the questions I knew were going to come, "So what happened? With the family? Someone told me that whoever was attacking had been killed.

"Yeah...one of my men had to shoot her multiple times though: an insane amount. The coroner is going to have a field day removing all of those bullets," I shook my head, thinking back to the incredible beating the creature had taken.

"Really?" my wife's eyes seemed to brighten with interest, "So she wasn't human or, well, she wasn't like Malook? What about the others?"

"No, she definitely wasn't human. Except for a frightening sight, I haven't a clue what she was," I replied, those dead alive black eyes haunting me.

Connie broke herself from my embrace, shifting on the bed to better face me, "What do you m- WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR NECK?"

Her gaze had fallen from mine and caught on the injury I had sustained, which I had already forgotten about. It had been my intention not to mention the wound, hoping I could cover it or at least wait until later to bring it up. Guess that plan was out the window now.

"The creature was laying on the ground. She had already been severely wounded and wasn't moving. We all approached assuming she was dead or dying."

Connie had taken to her feet and was prodding me to move my head in different ways so that she could inspect the gash properly. I grabbed her hands after a few moments and put them down on my lap, cupping them in my own, "Anyway," I continued, "She jumped me. After the next shots fired and she fell again, we made sure her heart had stopped."

"It's not too deep," the doctor concluded, agitated that I had stopped her from tending to the wound, "Just wide. Does it hurt?"

"Burns a little," I admitted, "But I'm fine."

She didn't remove her focus from my throat, "Okay, so the other two passengers, what-"

"A woman and a young boy. I'm assuming the wife and son Malook spoke to you about," I answered without her needing to go any further, "They're completely unharmed and same species as he is, as far as we can tell. They're here now too."

"What, um, I mean, do they speak English?"

I shook my head, "It doesn't appear so. We've been talking with Malook again. He insists they can't. He also won't say anything regarding that beast that was with them."

Connie scratched her head and lifted a brow, finally meeting my gaze, "Nothing at all? Does he know she's dead?"

"Yeah," I shrugged, "When he was told, he did say something, but nothing useful."