Chapter Thirty

We walked towards the entrance, with his arm linked with mine. A guard or perhaps a butler was standing outside, and Dane pulled out his invitation to show him. He nodded at Dane and I, opening the door for us. "Have a good time," he said gruffly, and Dane thanked him in return.

I walked with Dane into the house, and I felt his grip on my arm get tighter. "Stay with me at all times, understood?" He whispered, and I nodded, not quite trusting my voice as I looked inside the house.

It was magnificent, with bright lights illuminating the room. There were two refreshment tables, with different foods I had never seen in my life, wine, and a large staircase leading up to the other rooms, with a chandelier on top of it.

The room was filled with people that I immediately knew were high-class. Everyone seemed regal and I felt small and ugly compared to them. I think Dane felt my sudden hesitation, and he looked towards me, still smiling at everyone, saying, "You'll do fine. This whole mission depends on you, and we need it to succeed."

I nodded weakly as Dane waved to the people in the room, conversing easily and laughing over matters that were unknown to me. He and his colleagues got along easily, and I noticed that their partners had other women they knew, whereas I was clueless to most people.

I felt like everyone's stares were on me, and I could tell what they were thinking, "Who is she?"

"Why did Dane choose her?"

"What is she doing here?"

But I kept a constant smile on my face, and even accepted a delicacy from a tray offered by a nearby waiter.

Leaning towards Dane, I asked while chewing the pastry, "How much longer?"

"More introductions..." Dane whispered back, waving to one of his friends and urging me to follow with him. "And then we have to dance." I groaned softly and took another pastry, which I identified as raspberry and honey flavored.

I was tempted to break away from Dane's grasp and make an excuse for the bathroom, but I knew Dane wouldn't agree to it. While he passed his time with his associates, I needed something to do. I definitely wasn't going to stuff myself with pastries all day, and there was no way I was going to join the conversations.

I clasped my hands together and fidgeted with a silver ring on my finger, twisting it around as I dimly listened in to Dane's newest conversation. "Ah, yes, this is Audrey, my wife," the man Dane was speaking to said, his hand possessively clutching Audrey's.

Dane grinned at the couple, "Since when? I don't suppose I received an invitation?"

"It was a quiet wedding," the man shrugged. "I didn't want paparazzi invading on our special moment. We barely invited anyone, and I'm afraid you didn't fit on the list."

"Yes, of course, I understand. The interviewers and photographers do get quite annoying at times," Dane replied. I gently tried to remove my arm from his but he discreetly shook his head, pressing me towards him harder, emphasizing that I wasn't to leave.

Sighing in defeat, I missed the rest of their conversation until I heard something that caught my attention. "-and who is the lady you have on your arm?" I jumped slightly, startled at the question, not expecting to catch his attention. I wasn't sure how to reply, since Dane had told me that I was to go anonymously. I looked to Dane for support, gently tugging on his arm.

"This is my friend, Isabella," Dane replied smoothly. I internally frowed at the name 'Isabella', but I guess it was fine as long as it didn't blow my cover. "Since the invitation came on such short notice, I didn't have time to invite anyone else. Thankfully, Isabella volunteered."