Chapter Eleven

Zachariah pursed his lips with a sour expression as I remained silent. My curiosity chipped away at my reserve however, as I stood, trying to understand his reasoning.

"You have tired of me so easily?" I asked him incredulously, "Most last at least a week, but you must be of a weaker constitution."

"Hmm, indeed." He grit out, clenching his fist to his side as he glanced over to Jonas who's expression had remained unwaveringly stoic. "You will be sent to the city, with Imogen, Camden, and Jonas of course, and you will be sold to the highest bidder."

I scoffed, to hide how unnerved his words had made me. "I would have believed you- if it had just been your loyal dogs that you planned to sell for profit... But me?" I crossed my arms, but involuntarily took a step backwards as I met Zachariah's gaze. "The information that I carry- that you assume that I carry- is far too valuable to you. You would not give up so easily, so I call your bluff."

Zachariah steepled his fingers, and glanced over to Jonas. "Bring them in. Have them ready, both Imogen and the boy."

"Of course, sir." Jonas replied respectfully, but I saw the hidden frustration behind his stone like exterior- right next to his contempt for me, just barely visible over his need for approval. I scoffed once more as I saw him walk in two-step timing out the door.

"So this auction," I turned to face Zachariah, "you would have placed your own safety measures there, to ensure that your informant and your top soldiers would not escape your grasp."

"No," Zachariah shrugged, "The only measure that I have is the training that I instilled in my soldiers from childhood... But as for you?" He shook his head. I could not take him at his word and believe that he would leave me in the city to my own devices- not after what I had seen of the rebel's compound- so I egged him on further.

"As for me?"

"Your own physical appearance should ensure you are working inside a home- with a face as comely as yours- but as for your safety?" Zachariah gave me a cheshire grin, "You are all on your own."

"You would not," I spoke to him, my tone breathy. "Would you?"

"I-." A knock sounded from the door that Jonas had previously exited, and a second later, after Zachariah's beckoning, all three owners of the names he had originally presented walked forward.

Imogen smiled sweetly over to me, her cheeks rosy. "Hi, Ellery," She said, "It is good to see that you made it through the last attack." She wiped her brow and it was only then, when I saw her hands stained with blood, that I realized they came fresh from battle.

Camden narrowed his eyes at me as he examined me further, "But, as we can clearly deduct from they way things are being presented in this room, It seems her witnessing of the massacre of our people hardly changed her mind," He looked over and quirked an eyebrow at Zachariah, "That is why we are here, Is it not?"

"Sound reasoning, boy," Zachariah spoke, though he hardly took his gaze from me, "You are to be auctioned off."

Camden bowed his head, but I saw his face go pale at Zachariah's unquestionable statement. "Indeed."

"Undercover?" Imogen furrowed her brows, "How will we communicate with you if we are to act as slaves?"

"You are not supposed to communicate with us."

"Not-? What do you mean, sir?" Camden called, his gaze still directed the floor.

"You are to be auctioned off to gather intel, and you are not to communicate with the rebel base while doing so. We've been asking- pleading for change, and yet it seems that the people of the city are indifferent. So, I say that we take a city girl and force her to come to terms with the oppression that our kind faces everyday - that she would have faced if fate had had its way."

"A mission of self-discovery?" Imogen's eyes went wide and she clenched her fists tightly, "You are sending us to the most dangerous place cyborgs can possibly go, so that Ellery can relate to us?"

"Yes," Zachariah leaned back and tilted his head to the side, "I think that it is actually a rather brilliant idea. The money that we will get from your sale will more than compensate for your extended absence."

"When can we go back?" Jonas spoke up for the first time since he had entered the room, his eyes steely.

"Until rebellion has ensued, until our movement for freedom- for liberation- has gained too much momentum for them to stop us." Zachariah stood up, pride and anticipation lighting his eyes as he surveyed the small group.

Camden narrowed his eyes again, "So, never," He quipped, "We are never coming back."

I chuckled dryly as Zachariah sat back down, brows drawn together. "My responsibility," He spoke with a wry tone, "Is to the civilians under my protection here."

"And as we are soldiers," Jonas' tone was angry, and although he spoke to Zachariah, I knew that I was to blame for most of his fury, "We're not afforded the same luxury?"

"That is not what I said, Jonas. Your insubordination has been noted, but I fear it will not change your orders."

The accumulated soldiers, hardly even adults, fell silent.

"I will have the uninsured soldiers accompany you to the city limits," He sighed wearily, "After that, I wish for you to put on a show."

"A show?" Imogen asked quietly, eyes wide as her crossed arms drew tighter around her body.

"Incite the anger of the guards. Make their violence newsworthy- front page worthy, really. The abolitionists might be more sympathetic if it comes from their own media."

"We sneak in to the city, we get beaten and bruised to the brink of death, we get sent to the auction, and we place or fates in to some human with a deep wallet?" Camden scoffed, but I saw the fear in his eyes. "Without a link back to our home- our people- and no accurate information to go off of?"

"Yes," Zachariah spoke with a note of gravity, "I believe that about covers it. We do not have much time, and remember," He stood, and clasped my shoulder with a heavy hand, "Trust no one."