Chapter 8

His couch makes me comfortable as if I'm sitting on the clouds. I close my eyes and feel its goodness.

"Are you free tonight?" He asks.

I feel a fever of enthusiasm upon hearing his question, "Why? Are we going to eat dinner together again?"

"Nope, but a movie marathon," a corner of his lips lifted. "I can cook popcorns. Don't worry." He added.

We both chuckle then we left his room. He brought the room's key with him. Maybe he is going somewhere else after helping me.

The elevator is always available because people who are allowed to go up there is limited. Thank God I met Edrei. When the elevation says ting!, we immediately step out and he led the way.

The door is glass so everything inside is transparent. Edrei enters the office first, then I go next. I sit on the separated couch and feel like I am at home. I don't care if Edrei will define me as a feeling so close friend. I just want to rest. I put both of my arms on the arms of the couch and lean my head on it. Gosshh. It's so relaxing.

"Rebecca?" I hear the voice from the swivel chair yonder. The sun shines so bright so I can't see who it is. I stand up and move closer to the table, with my eyes narrowed.

The moment I realize who the man is, I cover my mouth with my hand.

"Engineer?" I utter nervously. Why is he here?

He is sitting with his arms crossed. I am at the front of his table that's why he is looking up on me. "Why are you here, Ms. Rios?" I want to ask him the same question.

I am not used to be called as Ms. Rios, that's very formal of him. He offers me the couch beside me so I sit down. I can't stare at him even for five seconds. Perhaps it is caused by his professionalism.

My eyes darted to Edrei who is printing our task. I crossed my fingers with each other, praying that he will call my name so I can escape the situation. But he doesn't.

I glare at Engineer and look away. I repeat it for about ten times. "I-I'm getting some help from a friend of mine, Sir."

He nods, "Oh. You're already printing the narrative report?"

I also nod which makes him smile. He is leaning on clenched fist and his elbow is on the table. "I like your performance. You are always submitting the tasks on time." I can feel the hotness of my cheeks. I just hope they won't turn into much red.

"Thank you, Sir," I said.

He just smiled and turn his body sideways facing Edrei. "Your brother is coming tonight. The staffs are preparing for a welcome party, aren't you coming?"

Edrei is busy yonder and he didn't turn his back for Mr. Engineer.

"Dad, you know Ezekiel and I are not in good terms and I don't wanna die earlier," I noticed the clenching of his jaw.

My mouth falls down. He just called Mr. Engineer as Dad! My brows knitted, curious about what is going on. I am being out of place now. Mr. Engineer or Edrei's Dad faces me again with his sweet smile.

"You haven't mentioned that you are friends with Rebecca," he tells Edrei but he is looking at me.

I only gave him a smile because I am still speechless. The fact that they are father and son had took my voice away.

He sniffs, "I hope you wouldn't mind, Ms. Rios if I will leave you two here. If ever you want to submit the report, you can find me on the first floor, inside the manager's office."

"Yes, Sir.." finally, I found my voice. I nod as I answer him.

He stands up and grabs his black folder. He gave a half-smile when he passed through me, and got himself out of the office eventually. The transparency of the office makes me see him heading to the elevator.

I stand by Edrei's side. I hissed at him and he stopped what he is doing. "You didn't tell me that he is your father!" I quietly shout.

He handed me the hard copy of the report. "You never asked neither."

I sigh, "Duh? We're friends! You should've told me."

"I don't remember you telling me about your parents so why must I bother?"

I roll my eyes and get the papers out of his hand. What's his name again? I don't know that's why I walk towards the table, where I found a nameplate.

Mr. Edward Hasluck

All this time, I never knew that Edrei isn't actually the owner of Taraki Resort and even this elegant office. Now, I also realized that their relationship explains why I saw Mr. Edward Hasluck in the floor below this, where Edrei's room is. A lady told me that Edrei had a meeting with his dad which happened to be the engineer or Mr. Edward.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Edrei asks while the elevator is open for those who are going to the fifth floor.

"It will be my pleasure but you don't need to," I said. If only he knows.. I want him to stay. I am always craving for his presence. I wish that he will come with me.

The elevator rings which means the door is closing. He did not move. He is still beside me holding his long brown stick.

"I would like to get some rest but I am going to love a walk with you." What's with his words? They are just simple. He doesn't put any meaning on it. But why does my heart beat so rapidly? Those words are flower to my ears. They appear as roses starting to bloom and they go down from my ears, to my chest, passing through the veins, and wander inside my soul.

What's happening to me? Am I starting to develop feelings for him?