Chapter 9

No, I should not. I don't know Edrei that well to feel this way but does it really matter or I just don't want to admit that I like him because I am not sure if he would feel the same?

I shrug my shoulders to shake the thought off. He hissed so I glare at him.

"Are you coming tonight?" He asks. The question must be distracting him many times.

I nod, "But how are you going to watch the movies with me?" I just hope he doesn't get offended. Nah, it's not offensive, what is wrong if I asked? Right?

I heard him chuckle, "I've already watched the movies but of course, I would like to hear them again with a friend." Oh yeah. I'm just a friend. I knew it. Why expecting so much, Becca?

Maybe I must stop whatever is going with me right now. I just met Edrei few days ago. I know the story behind his blindness but not his life. We've gone through lots of experiences together but it is not enough to feel what I am feeling. Maybe I am just overacting.

"I will just wait for you here," he stops by the side of the office's door as I make my way inside.

The door is not closed and I saw a lady talking to Mr. Edward, probably one of the staffs. When he noticed my presence, he nods at me and smiles. I handed him the papers containing our narrative report. The lady gives me a way to Mr. Edward.

"I'm sorry to bother you, Sir. I will just submit our report." I utter.

He didn't answer instead he nods at the lady who eventually went out of the office. Mr. Edward offers me a chair at the front of his table. The office is smaller than the other one which is located at the sixth floor but it's enough for twenty people to fit in.

I bend my back to sit down as well as he does on a swivel chair. He puts his elbow on its arms and his hands are holding his chin, just like when a person is thinking about something.

He sways the chair, "I am quite amazed by how my son recovered."

I furrow my eyebrows, "What do you mean, Sir?"

"I am not referring physically. Did he tell you the reason why he got blind?" As what I remember, he told me it was because of a car accident. He used to join car racing but after what happened, he quitted.

"The car accident?" I answer.

His eyebrows rose, "Nothing else?"

Is there anything else? I shake my head. He just smiled and leaned on the table with his elbows on it and his fingers crossed.

"Can you do me a favor, Rebecca?" He said in a low tone. He sounds serious about what he is gonna say.

I did not speak. I just nod.

"Can you bring Edrei at the party later?" He asks.

Why is he asking me for that? I am aware that Edrei and his brother are not in good terms and if I do his favor, there's a chance that Edrei will hate me.

"I doubt it, Sir," I answered.

He sighs and sits properly, "Okay. If you think you can't do it, at least just try. I'm gonna owe you anything."

Minutes passed by and I am not being comfortable with Mr. Edward, begging me to do him a favor which I know I can't.  That is a serious matter of Edrei's personal life and I don't want to interlope it. Who knows if it's confidential, right? I am just his new friend and.. nothing else.

So I decided to stand up and tell him I should go, "I will try, Sir but I won't guarantee you." Then I tilt the doorknob and go out of his office.

I let a deep sigh as soon as I get out. I turn myself sideways to see Edrei but he is not there anymore. Maybe he got bored of waiting so he decided to sit somewhere. I walk and head to a series of blue chairs where I found him with his favorite stick.

He is sitting straight and the stick is on his lap. I begin to walk towards him. The moment I touch his shoulder, he almost jumps out and throws the stick. I manage to chuckle although I know it isn't a real one. My mind is occupied with "what ifs" for what will happen later.

I get the stick and guide him as he stands up. "You really like shocking me, huh?"

I chuckle again, "I do."

After some steps, we are in front of the elevator, waiting for it to open.

"What did he tell you?" I gasp as I realize who is he referring to.

I could feel my lower lip trembling, "I-I just submitted the report and he got few comments about it. That's all."

His eyebrows draw together, "You sure?"

I gulp, "Yeah." We parted ways as the elevator reaches the second floor. But before leaving, I asked him if he wants me to take him back to his room but he resisted.

On my way, I saw Paolo also walking through our room. I called him and when he knew it was me, his eyelids drooped.

"Don't worry, Paolo. I won't mention what happened last night that you and Jas almost fvcked up—"

"You already said it," he hopelessly murmured.

I laugh and hang my arms onto his shoulder, "Did I? Oh I'm sorry."

"Argh, Rebecca!" I can see on his face that he is annoyed. I remove my arms from him as I open the door.

Jasmin is lying on her bed but she is awake while Ryan and Genna are busy with their phone. When I reached my bed, I lazily lay down with my hands extended on each side and my feet touching the floor.

I closed my eyes. I felt something thrown on my face so I manage to open them again. A scented envelope is blocking my eyesight so I remove it and raise it up. At the back part of it, there is a message handwritten.

Miss Rebecca Rios
Engineering Student

I glance at Paolo who gave the envelopes for each of us. "Who sent this?"

"The Engineer called me a while ago. He is inviting us to a welcome party for his son," he explains.

I open the invitation. I saw a small piece of paper which says that the party will be held at the restaurant which is at the end of the hall where Edrei and I went. It will start at exactly 7 in the evening. But curiosity hits me when I noticed another piece of paper inside it. I glare at my group mates. "David, can I see your invitation?"

His brows furrowed, "Why? The invitations are all the same."

I sit up, "Just let me see yours." He rolls his eyes and hands me his small envelope.

I hurriedly take a look on what is inside but all I can see is one small paper. They are not two, just one. I put the paper back and give it to David. How come mine are two?

They are busy with their own world so there's nothing wrong if I am going to open this in front of them. After opening the envelope for the second time, I get the different paper and read what's written on it.

Table 02

If ever he agreed with you, just meet me at my office on the sixth floor. I have your outfits bought.

-Mr. Edward Hasluck