Chapter 2

*Kring Kring Kring*

I was awaken by the ringing tone of my cellular phone. I lazily get it from the table beside the bed.

"Hello?" Whoever is on the other line can hear my oh-so-not-nice voice. This is why I hate speaking when I am from sleep.

"How are you, Rebecca?" What a nice thing to start the day. It's Ryan.

"K. What do you want?"

I can hear his deep sigh, "Just wanna make sure you're okay before proceeding to work."

"K. Bye." Then I hang up.

I really hate talking to him. He is the reason why Dad always know what I am up to. I am like a child because of what he is always doing. I shake the thought off my head and keep the pillows and blanket on the right place.

I slept with Jasmin, David, Paolo and Genna. The Enginner suggested it so we can get along with each other to work effectively for the upcoming days.

I walk downstairs with Jasmin for coffee. As expected, she started talking as soon as we went out of our room.

"Where are you last night? I haven't seen you."

"And why are you looking for me?" I ask her with my curious eyes.

She ties her hair, "Well, I was planning to drink wine at the minibar. The day is so tiring so we should treat ourselves."

I did not bother responding to what she said. Instead, I keep on walking because my tongue is looking for coffee.

I got the creamy one while Jasmin has the hot chocolate.

"What are we going to do later?" She asks.

I stirr my drink, "Maybe putting our floor plans together with the other groups'?"

"Is that all?" She asks.

I nod, "I guess so."

When the short hand of the clock reaches the number seven, engineering students start to gather at the garden. The Engineer discusses what are we going to do for the day. I am right about putting the floor plans together with the other groups' in a specific place.

It's quite easy. It only took an hour to finish the task. After that, we have to make a blue print for our second building which is the minibar. I will be the one to do the front and right side elevation and they are going to do the rest. It took me two hours to finish it almost perfectly.

Since I am done with today's task, I let myself breathe some fresh air at my favorite place. I sit down and watch how the waves move.

Suddenly, I heard a sound from the sand, someone is coming. I immediately look back and there I see Edrei holding his long brown stick for guidance. He is with his sunglasses, beach shorts and a grey t-shirt.

I stand up and reach for his arms. I heard him gasps, "Don't worry. It's Rebecca."

"I thought someone's going to kidnap me," he jokes.

I made a chuckle which sounds weird, I hope he didn't hear it. I guide him to the branch where we used to sit.

"Do you always go here at morning?" I ask.

A smile was formed from his red lips, "Yeah. Setting my mood for a great day."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, what is it?"

I put the rest of my hair which is out of the bun at the back of my ears, "Is this your favorite place ever since you can see?"

He laughs, "Is that only? Well, hmmm yes. I love this place."

"Oh okay? But there's more."

He laughs again and gives me a thumbs up as a sign to go on, "What did the doctor say about your eyesight? Will it come back or what?"

He puts the stick down at his side, "Fortunately, I have an scheduled operation which is two months away from now."

My eyes widened, "Really? That's good! God really wants you to see the world again."

"But being blind is also good," the smile on my lips faded as I heard his words.

He is still smiling, "At least I am free from the world's bitterness." He chuckles but I did not.

Instead I hold his hand and caress it. He was shocked and almost take his hand away from mine but I hold it tightly.

"W-What are you doing?" He asks. He is serious now. I wonder how this man can switch moods at a sudden time.

"Doing my responsibility as a friend?" I answered but it sounds like a question.

"I'm okay. I mean what I say. You don't have to do that." He smiles again. I hope that's enough to make him feel that someone cares for him. Whatever the bitterness he mentioned is, I pray it won't put his hope down. Instead, he should make it as a motivation.

After some talk, he told me that he is going back to his room for lunch. I don't know why I don't feel hungry even we had talked for a long time. Maybe it's because my brain is full of thoughts.

His operation will be two months from now so it means, there's a chance that I can't see him with his new eyes because our OJT is going to end that time, too.

Also, I wonder why the world is bitter for him. I mean, we all experience struggles but I wanna know what his is.

My head started to hurt a little so I decided to go back inside the resort for our free lunch. I am eating at a table with my group mates when my phone rings.

I press the green button.

"What is it again, Ryan?"

You read it right. It's Ryan again.

"I have a good news, sweetie!" I decrease the volume of my phone because they are looking at me and I think they heard it because of their smile.

"Whatever it is, I don't care," I am about to hang it up but he speaks again.

"Oh wait, wait! We're going to go there at the resort! I decided to have my day off tomorrow. By the way, I'm gonna be with my girlfriend. See you there tom, sweetie—." My jaw dropped as I press the red button.

I can't believe it. I don't want them to come here! I think of a plan so I won't be seeing Ryan and his damn girlfriend but I just can't. The Engineer is strict so he won't let the training start when a student is missing. And besides, this is an OJT for God's sake!

I'm panicking right now. My group mates are asking me questions but I did not bother answering them. After the lunch, I go back to the branch, my usual spot.

I realize that there is no way to escape Ryan. Maybe I should just avoid him and tell him that relatives are not allowed to distract us. Maybe it will work?

"You're here again," I look at the one who spoke.

It's Edrei.