27. A Lie

After half the morning spent at the police station, I adamantly turned down Jongdae's offer to continue the search together and demanded him to go home and rest. He wasn't completely well, after all.

We had a little debate over it because he wanted to accompany me so badly, but because he still didn't look too well, I never gave in. I even threatened to inform his parents about it (I know I'm so evil), but that was truly the only way for him to give up his intent.

[3.15pm]

I only had one lead as to where Aaron might be. His house. I made my way down to the dance studio to obtain his profile information and in particular - his address. Doing it so discreetly while many other people occupied the studio in the day was no easy job.

I lied my way to the administrative office sneakily, like I'd done something wrong.

Actually, wait. I didn't do anything wrong!

After stepping out of the studio, I mentally slapped myself for the whole clumsy act, but in my hands, I stared down at the little paper in which I wrote his address on.

Here we go. I want and I need to clarify everything with Aaron today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was an awkwardly wide gap between the two of us, filled with deafening silence.

We didn't speak the moment he opened the door and he was certainly astounded to see me bravely confronting him by myself.

"Um, can I...come in?"

I began, taking a small step forward and peering into his house a little. It was dull and dark at the first glance. Even in the subsequent times I peeked inside, there was honestly nothing pleasant to describe. It felt so empty and cold.

"No no, you can't!" He rejected upright.

I eyed him carefully and attempted to study his expressions but I couldn't understand him.

"A-Aaron..."

"I'm sorry you can't, but let's talk somewhere else, okay? Please?"

Although reluctant, I nodded and watched as he speedily fetched a coat and his keys before closing the door firmly behind us.

'Let's go,' he mouthed.

Honestly, Aaron looked too kind to have done something unforgivable and it's almost hard to believe that everything took its course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We dined in at a cafe near his place, settling opposite each other. I took a sip of the latte I ordered for myself before beginning.

"You know why I'm here."

He shrugged as soon as I started speaking.

"I told you I won't say anything."

"You told me you had a family to protect. I'm here to listen."

"I didn't inform you that for you to come asking me what it is about."

"Aaron, I'm your friend." I kindly reminded him.

I leaned forward and rested my elbows on the table, waiting for him to speak up. But he remained silent, so I continued.

"I'm still your friend, and I believe you when you said that we were your friends too. I'm here to find out the truth, I admit, but I'm here too because I wanna understand what happened to you. Honestly, aren't you tired of facing your troubles alone? You look really exhausted. Mentally."