🌸Blinded🌸

[Naruto AU, angst, fluff]

"Sasuke! Cover me!" 

"Got it." 

Sakura... She's really amazing. She's the strongest Kunoichi in the world, I'm sure. I may have only been her right-hand man, there to support her, but I've always seen her as more than that. I admire her approach to battles and her position as commander. She had so much going for her, until... That accident. I remember how hard it was to breathe... I told her I'd cover her, but... I failed her. 

"Sakura!!" 

"Someone get a medic nin! Sakura! Just stay with us--" 

"Don't touch her!!"

"S-Sasuke..." 

"She's my responsibility! I'll take her back to the village!" 

"Right now?! Sasuke, we're on the front lines! Hell, we've passed it! It's not safe! You'll both die!" 

I didn't know what I was thinking back then... But when I found myself sitting at her bedside the afternoon after that. I got her to the hospital late the night before with little life left in her. It's a miracle she didn't bleed out. She got caught in a bad explosion that I could easily have caught with my Sharingan, but... I didn't. I was too blinded by my own selfish ambitions. I'm such a fool...

"S-Sasuke..." 

"Sakura, you're awake." 

"I know that..." She rubbed her head and sat up, "where... Am I?" 

"I brought you back to the village." 

"What?!" She rose her voice, "away from the fight?! Sasuke, the war is going on!"  

"And you nearly died!" Sasuke clenched his fists and protested, "you think we're going to let our commander die in the middle of the battlefield?!" 

"So let me die! If it means dying for the village!" Sakura felt tears rush to her eyes, then she froze, "wh-what's... What's going on... Sasuke?!" 

She looked up at him in horror as the tears streamed from her eyes.

"Sakura! What's wrong?!" 

Sakura put her hands to her face, rubbed her eyes, then looked back up at him, "I... Where are you?!" 

"I'm right here!" 

"I-I can't..." She reached in front of her and grabbed his arms, "I can't see you!" 

"You're looking right at me!" Sasuke's face went pale as he stared into Sakura's green eyes. They looked as if they lost their vibrancy and color, "d-doctor! We need a doctor in here!" 

And that was the day we found out Sakura hit her head worse than we thought. She lost all eyesight, and her career as the commander of the front lines Shinobi strike-force came to an end at that moment. 

"Don't let me fall..." 

"Okay." Sasuke glanced down at her to make sure she was actually still there. It was now his responsibility to help her live, "be careful, there are a couple of law steps just a pace ahead of you." 

Although it's already been over a couple of weeks, she has never gotten fully comfortable getting around by herself, and she relied heavily on him.

"I'm sorry, Sasuke..." 

"You keep saying that." 

"Because I am. If I weren't blind..." 

Sasuke pursed his lips, "if I hadn't been so selfish..."