Chapter 43 - Kaelin - The Truth Revealed

A moment later, a dozen gold tailed merpeople rocketed from the waves. Their bodies glowed brightly as they began their transformation. When they landed they were all in the in-between state. They were not entirely merpeople, nor were they entirely human.

They raised their weapons, ready to attack. Those that had no weapon held up their hands to expose their claws, which could easily slice metal, so they would have no trouble cutting through skin. The warriors were certainly not deterred from harming Kaelin and her siblings.

Arlen slowly walked forward and locked eyes with Kaelin. "We can avoid bloodshed, if you'll just comply. Do you really want to be the reason that your brother and sister die horribly?"

Kaelin looked over at Amaya, who was glaring fiercely, ready for anything. She then turned to Calder. He met her gaze. She could see his determination. Kaelin didn't think he would stand down even if she wanted him to.

Besides, all of this was just to buy time. They were trying to stall until help could arrive.

Finally, Kaelin found Arlen's pale green eyes again. "I'm sorry, Arlen. I was never very good at compliance."

He chuckled softly, as if he expected that answer. His lips curved into a smirk. He was obviously pleased by her answer. He wanted to fight.

Arlen nodded, without another word, and the warriors rushed toward the three of them, all alone, except for one another.

Amaya swept her arms through the air, gathering the rain into a sphere in front of her. Then, she pushed her hands forward and sent the ball towards an enormous merman charging her. At such a high speed, the water ball was as solid as stone and the man was knocked off his feet.

Calder leapt forward, covering nearly fifteen feet in two seconds. He swung with his fists, knocking down one after another of the warriors. He used a bit of magic to freeze rain and flung the icy pellets at them, which sliced their skin like blades.

Kaelin faced Arlen, holding her clawed hands out to her sides, ready for his advance. But something still weighed on her. Her heart was still heavy with what she'd done to Zale. It was self-defense, so she could hardly be blamed. No human court would convict her. He had been actively trying to kill her. However, she felt the need to apologize, even if it changed nothing. "I'm sorry about your brother. I never wanted to hurt anyone."

Arlen cracked a smile. There was a darkness in his eyes, though they remained the same shade of green they'd always been. "You didn't kill my brother, you stupid little fool."

Her breath caught, a sharp pang of shock shot through her chest as a tingle travelled down her spine. "What?" She shook her head. She had stabbed  Zale through the heart. She saw his face go slack. She watched as he sank toward the city below with the wreckage of the meeting chamber.

"My brother survived the wound you gave him. It was an impressive blow. Right in the neck. However, you missed everything important by this much." He held his thumb and index finger a hairbreadth apart. "After you escaped, I found him buried in the ice from the chamber. Ironically, that slowed down his heart, so he didn't bleed as much."

"He's not dead?" Kaelin almost smiled at the revelation. She wasn't a murderer after all. That was a huge weight lifted off her chest. She'd been tormented by Zale's face for years.

"Oh, no, he's dead." Arlen said.

Kaelin was confused. "You just said..."

"I said you didn't kill him." Arlen interrupted. "I was the first to find him. He begged for my help. Then, I slit his throat and watched him bleed out."

Kaelin gaped, stunned. She couldn't imagine wanting one of siblings dead, let alone doing the job herself. "Why would you do that?"

Arlen was perfectly calm as he said, "Because my brother wanted to be the sole ruler of the clans. I disagreed."

"And what did your father have to say about that? I always thought Zale was his favorite."

Arlen laughed out loud, genuinely amused. "My father can't say anything without my permission. He's been under the Thrall for decades."

Kaelin was shocked. She'd thought this whole plan was Moab's, but he wasn't complicit, at all. He was just another pawn. Arlen was the real evil.

"My brother and I have been the true decision makers of our clan. Our father was a foolish decrepit fossil. He was content being a small part of the whole, deferring to the wisdom of the other Elders." His voice contained such vitriol. "My family was born to rule the oceans. You know, we did once. When wars were the determination of leaders and boundaries."

He wasn't wrong about that. It was part of their history. The warriors from the South used to rule over everything, until the kataw came. It was their arrogance that allowed the kataw to overpower them, stupidly trying to beat them with brute force, when the kataw were much stronger physically than any of the mers. Those who weren't slaughtered were given the Thrall.

"You're crazy." Kaelin spat. Her voice was nearly swallowed by the howling of the winds and the cacophony of the waves.

"I am a visionary." Arlen held his arms out wide. "And once I've conquered the waters, I'll turn my sights to this world that's given you shelter, which you seem to love so much."

He flashed a smile that made her sick to the stomach as he reached a hand up to the sky. A purple bolt of lighting streaked across the black sky to strike the Ferris wheel. The metal groaned and whined, the beams twisting until the whole wheel started to topple. It fell slowly at first, then it just dropped, like a boulder, heavily into the water, taking the end of the boardwalk with it.

"I shall wipe every human off the face of the planet. Starting with that pathetic boy you love, and his family."

Kaelin gritted her teeth. "Not if I have anything to say about it."

"Dead mermaids cannot say anything." Arlen pulled his sharkbone sword from the sheath on the chain around his waist. He waved his hand for her to come at him. "But do try your hardest. I love a challenge."