Chapter 43 - Kaelin - The Truth Revealed

Kaelin, Amaya, and Calder ran out into the storm and made their way to the boardwalk, fighting against the hurricane strength winds that were uprooting trees. Kaelin grabbed Amaya by the arm and pulled her back a step, narrowly avoiding a stop sign that careened across their paths. It moved as fast as the harpoons from Liam's gun, which Calder had hanging over his shoulder.

Amaya gave Kaelin a look of gratitude. She clearly said "Thanks," but her words were swallowed up and carried away on the wind.

The gates of the boardwalk were closed and locked for the night, so Kaelin had to break the chain. She discarded it on the ground and pushed on the gate. The wind took hold of it and made it swing wide open before it slammed against the wall inside, leaving a few of the wooden fence planks cracked.

The three of them rushed inside just as another gust caught the gate and swung it back around to shut with a loud bang.

They rushed to the end of the boardwalk, past the booths that were shaking in the immense pressure winds. Even the large Ferris wheel wasn't immune from the storm. The metal made terrible creaks and groans. Kaelin had to wonder if it was going to come tumbling down.

Kaelin stopped at the railing overlooking the harsh waves that were growing so violent they were splashing over onto the boardwalk. Not that it mattered, the rain had sufficiently soaked them. Their clothes clung tightly to their skin. Calder had abandoned his boots when they started to fill with water, weighing him down, meanwhile Kaelin's and Amaya's gel foot coverings had already washed away.

Kaelin held her hands out toward her siblings. They each took hold. Just as it had taken their combined magic to craft the wall, it would take their shared power to bring it down, each undoing their part.

Kaelin could sense the magic unraveling until it had all dissipated. The wall was now nothing more than a hunk of regular ice. It stood no chance against the savage storm.

It only took one bolt of lightning to create a million fissures in the ice. The entire wall of ice tumbled into the ocean.

It didn't take long for the storm to wash away all evidence of the wall's existence, except for a few glaciers that were tossed about in the waves, each about the size of a small car.

Kaelin and the others ran back the way they'd come. When they halfway down the boardwalk, to the place where the land met the sea. The tide was so high now that there barely any beach to be seen.

Still, they leapt over the railing. Each landed in the sand below with ease.

Each of them took up a defensive position, twenty feet between them. They wanted to be close in case they needed to help each other, but not so close that they could get hurt by a stray blast of magic.

Kaelin planted her feet in the sand, digging in her heels, waiting for the Southern Clan to come after them. She let her hands begin the transformation back to their true form, so she could use her talons to attack.

"They're coming!" Amaya's shout could barely be heard over the roaring winds; if they'd had human hearing, it would've been lost completely. She was gesturing emphatically toward the water.

Kaelin looked out at the ocean. She spotted the golden tails zipping through the water, so close to the surface, headed straight towards them. As they drew nearer, a few of them leapt from the water to sail over a particularly large wave that might slow them down.