Chapter 4 - Liam - Third Degree

As Mrs. Bainbridge predicted, vacationers filled the brightly colored clinic waiting room. One man had a terrible sunburn; his bald head blistered and bright red. The skin around his eyes, where he'd worn sunglasses, was the only part of his head left unburnt. Liam could tell they were aviators by the distinct outline. There were several others burnt like him, though none to the same degree.

A young woman, near the front desk, had a bloody cloth wrapped around her hand. It was hard not to stare and wonder what happened.

Only two seats remained unoccupied. After signing Liam in, Mrs. Bainbridge made a beeline straight for the empty chairs before the next group through the door could claim them. Liam offered the second seat to Kaelin, but she declined. The giant aquarium built in the center of the room piqued her interest. She circled around it a few times; her face alight with astonishment.

The lady behind the check-in desk called Liam up and gave him a clipboard with half a dozen papers. "Take these, fill them out, and give them to the nurse."

Liam returned to his seat and handed the forms off to his mother. She always took care of those things.

"I assume she's the painter girl." Mrs. Bainbridge said. Her eyes stayed fixed on the forms as she scribbled away. He didn't know how she remembered the whole family's medical history and everyone's relevant information.

"Yep." Liam nodded. "Her name is Kaelin."

"She's beautiful." The pen stopped moving for a second. She glanced up at Kaelin, whose mystified examination of the fish tank drew attention from all around.

Mrs. Bainbridge wrinkled her forehead. "It's strange, I used to have a dress like that. It was one of my favorites. I guess they're back in style again."

"Um, full disclosure, that is yours." Liam said. "Kaelin also got covered in paint, so I gave her something from the garage to wear. I hope that's okay."

"It's fine. I haven't touched that junk in years. I've told your grandfather to donate it." Mrs. Bainbridge cut her eyes to Liam. "He never does what I say. Like all the men in this family."

"You're hilarious." Liam said, only mildly offended. Because it was true, to a degree.

He was thankful when she got so caught up in filling out the paperwork, she forgot to grill him.

Liam was surprised when they called him next. Mrs. Bainbridge hooked her large purse over her shoulder, trying to juggle her phone, the clipboard, and the travel mug she brought in with her. She headed toward the nurse holding the door for them. "Hurry, son," she said, as Liam broke away to go get Kaelin.

It seemed he was just in time. All the fish in the tank followed every movement of Kaelin's hands. He stepped between her and the tank. "Come on. They called us."

"Very well." she said.

He placed a hand on the small of her back to direct her away, before anyone noticed. They passed a little girl, no older than four. She gaped at Kaelin.

The girl tried to get the woman next to her to pay attention. "Did you saw what that lady done?" she asked, tugging on the woman's arm.

Kaelin smiled and waved at the girl. "Hello."

Liam picked up the pace, pushing Kaelin along faster, toward the door to the exam rooms where his mother was tapping her foot.

After weighing Liam, the nurse took them to a small room, almost identical to every other doctor's office he'd ever seen. The bright baby duck yellow walls were all that separated this room from any other.