Book 1: chapter 4

It was near the break of day when I returned to camp. I was feeling uneasy by what I had seen, that being warg tracks. It is about time that we hurried onward and I was about to call them on this fact when I found the area surprisingly quiet, devoid of the sound of a fire or snores.

Hurrying back, my eyes roam the empty campsite. 'What did I miss here?' I wonder, feeling a bit worried.

Looking over the grass and moss covered ground, I spot tracks going East and I rush to follow them, but after a few yards, I halt at the sound of voices; some familiar, but others not. I can only guess what trouble they got themselves into until I go look for myself and that is exactly the course of action I take.

When I spot the red glow of a fire up ahead, joined by moving shadows, I take to the trees to get closer without being noticed. My eyes widen when a clearing comes into sight. Several dwarves and Bilbo are tied in sacks and on the floor, while a select few dwarves are tied up, turning over a fire and slowly being roasted over it by three trolls. I am quite amazed at this really, wanting to hear the story behind this.

"Are you ready to free our company before they turn crisp?" a voice whispers from below, making me glance down. I smile at Gandalf as he nods up at me from his hiding place. "Buy me some time Therith." he whispers before disappearing in the brush.

I nod, even though he probably won't see it and take my bow in my hand, taking an arrow in the other. Mounting it against my bow, I pull back the string, my fingers brushing the feathers as the resistance grows. I then take aim, going for a soft spot.

A high whistle sounds through the early morning air, thick with moist, before a scream of agony follows suit. One off the trolls falls over, almost onto the dwarves as he clutches his eye while writhing in pain.

"Something got me in the eye! Get it out!" screams the troll as he writhers about while his company gathers around him and holds him still.

"That is not a something. It's a arrow!" one of the calls out. "We are being attacked!" he continues, his hands searching the ground for a weapon and reaching a club that he soon hold up in front of him in defense.

"Where is that little bugger? I'll grind their bones and make soup from them!" calls the one I hit as he tries to find me with the eye he was left with.

It is then that they spot Gandalf behind them, standing on top of a large builder, the sun on his back. "Who's that?" questions a troll.

"No idea." says another.

"Can we eat them too?" asks the one I hit before Gandalf strikes the rock with his staff. It cracks and breaks before light pours into the clearing, hitting the trolls who scream out in displeasure before turning to stone.

I quickly rush down, freeing the dwarves that were about to be roasted, making them sigh in relief before quickly gathering their clothes, red in embarrassment. I hold my laughter for their sake. They've had enough to be ashamed about for one night.

Looking around I notice something missing. "Where are all the pony's and the horses?" I question, frowning.

"They have escaped, not only from the trolls, but us as well." Balin says disappointed.

"Together with most of our things." Dori grumbles.

"What's that though?" Ori questions as he spots Gandalf and Bilbo headed for a cave, making us follow curiously.

I hide my nose in my sleeve as soon as I get near, a horrible smell threatening to overcome me. I can feel my stomach turning as it is.

"What's that stench?" Nori asks, his face pulled back in disgust.

"It's a troll horde. Be careful what you touch." Gandalf explains as he looks around at the treasures gathered by the trolls, that being weapons, gold and jewels.

Gandalf pulls two swords from the dirt, each one of them magnificent and clearly of elvish make. He hands one to Thorin while keeping the other. I myself gather a few stray arrows to fill my quiver when suddenly a sound reaches my ears.

"Something is coming!" I say in alarm, alerting my fellow travelers.

"Gandalf..." Bilbo calls, but receives no ear from him as Gandalf gathers the company.

"Stay together. Hurry, arm yourselves."

The dwarves grab whatever weapon they can get a hold of, and Bilbo does so as well before following Gandalf outside where a panicked voice calls out, "Thieves! Fire! Murder!" Just after, a sled led by rabbits bursts through the brush to reveal Radagast, who is quite in a frenzy.

"Radagast, Radagast the Brown. What on earth are you doing here?" asks Gandalf as the other wizard tries to catch his breath.

"I was looking for you Gandalf. Something is wrong, something is terribly wrong." he explains shakily.

"Yes?" Gandalf urges as Radagast says no more.

"Just give me a minute. Oh, I had a thought and now I've lost it. It was right there on the tip of my tongue." Radagast says as his face turns to surprise, making me wonder what is wrong with him. "Oh, it's not the thought at all, it's just a little..." he starts sticking out his tongue to reveal a little critter. He takes it from himself, putting it down on a leaf. "...stick insect." he finishes.

Gandalf pulls Radagast aside, speaking to him about what is bothering the other wizard. I stay where I am, though quite capable in following their conversation, and the topic alarms me. If there truly is a necromancer at Dol Guldur, then evil has returned. It will make the journey much more perilous.

All of a sudden a loud cry similar of a wolves rings through the thick forest air, making me get on edge immediately.

"Was that a wolf? Are there wolves here?" Bilbo asks alarmed.

"Wolves? No, that is not a wolf." Bofur answers him.

"Warg-scouts!" calls Thorin. "That must mean there are orc packs nearby!"

I turn to him. "I saw traces of wargs while scouting earlier. I was about to tell you to rush onward before the trolls got in the way." I tell him. "They have been following us for a while it seems." I continue, making him look up at me confused and worried.

Gandalf rushes over, cornering Thorin. "Who did you tell about your quest, besides your kin?" he questions the dwarf urgently.

"No one." is his reply.

"Who did you tell?!" Gandalf insists.

"No one, I swear! What in Durin's name is going on?" Thorin asks the wizard who looks back at him exasperated.

"You are being hunted."

"We have to get out of here!" Dwalin calls to us.

"We can't! We have no ponies!" Ori reminds him.

Radagast steps up at this, "I'll draw them off." he offers.

"Those are Gundobad wargs, they will outrun you." Gandalf says to his friend worriedly.

"These are Rhosgobel rabbits." he counters, pointing towards them. "I'd like to see them try." he smirks before rushing over to his sled and hurrying off before Gandalf can say more.

The wizard turns to me in a hurry. "Therith!"

I nod, "Go ahead and run with all your might. I'll catch up." I assure him. He nods before ushering the company on, some protesting as I'm left behind. It's kind that they care for my well being, but not necessary.

Pulling my tight tunic over my head, I watch as feathers drift to the ground as they were caught in my tunic before, brown and red covering the earth. I'm left in a loose cloth that is wrapped crisscross over my chest. It's long enough to cover my stomach, but leaves much of my back bare.

Gathering my bow and slinging my quiver back onto my back, I rush after Radagast, needing to help him in guiding away the enemy. Jumping up in mid-stride, there is a rush of wind and a flurry of feathers before I'm off.

Therith is getting into action. Anyone getting excited yet?