Book 1: chapter 20

The next morning I rush around looking for Gandalf as Bard and Thranduil get ready to march for the mountain with their army. I almost run into the wizard as I round a corner.

"Therith, why the rush?" he questions.

"It's Bilbo. He left." I tell him, surprising him.

"I should have known." he groans. "Come." he says, walking off after the army that is now filing out of the city.

As we reach the mountain, the dwarves already stand lined up and armed upon the blockade. Next to them stands a nervous looking Bilbo. I'm relieved he's still well, but for how long? Thorin must not be aware of his actions of the night before yet.

I notice that the bridge that led to the entrance of Erebor is now gone, no doubt destroyed by the dwarves to increase their deference. Thranduil and Bard ride together to the front, stopping before their side of the broken bridge.

Up above a bow is strung and an arrow flies before digging itself into the ground before them, making them halt. "I will put the next one between your eyes!" Thorin threatens Thranduil.

Thorin draws his bow once more as the dwarves on the barricade cheer and rattle their weapons. Thranduil however only stares at Thorin angrily before slightly tilting his head. As a result, several rows of elves near the front of the army pull out their bows, nock their arrows, and aim at the dwarves.

The sight is rather impressing to behold and the dwarves' cheering is cut off abruptly as all of them but Thorin duck behind the ramparts. After a moment, Thranduil raises his hand, and the elves stand down. Thorin still has his bow drawn, though.

"We've come to tell you; payment of your debt has been offered...and accepted." Thranduil announces, looking quite amused.

"What payment? I gave you nothing! You have nothing!" Thorin calls back.

It is then that Bard steps forward and reveals the Arkenstone. "We have this."

The revelation shocks the dwarves. "They have the Arkenstone? Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!" Kili shouts angrily.

"And the king may have it, in our good will." Bard retorts, putting the stone away. "But first he must honour his word."

"The Arkenstone is in the mountain! It is a trick!" Thorin shouts after a moment, madness swarms in his eyes. It is then that Bilbo steps forward and I hold my breath, wishing for his safety.

"It-It's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." he confesses.

"You..." Thorin starts, now clearly seething. "You would steal from me?"

"Steal from you? No. No. I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let it stand against my claim." Bilbo says, but it doesn't make it any better.

"Against your claim?! Your claim! You have no claim over me you miserable rat!" Thorin shouts before making for the hobbit.

"I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but..." Bilbo starts.

"But what, thief?!" the Dwarf prince growls.

"You have changed, Thorin! The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word! Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!" Bilbo reasons, but it falls on deaf ears.

"Do not speak to me...of loyalty! Throw him from the rampart!" Thorin orders. To everyone's surprise and most of all Thorin's, not one dwarf obeys his order. "Do you hear me?!" he yells, grabbing hold of Kili, who shakes him off, rejecting him. "I will do it myself!" Thorin says, trying to reach the poor hobbit.

The others try to stop him as he takes hold of Bilbo and almost throws him over the edge. Bilbo's eyes couldn't be larger as he's getting closer to death. "Cursed be the wizard that forced you on this company!"

It is then that Gandalf rushes forward. "IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY BURGLAR..." he calls out, his voice booming. "Then please don't damage him. Return him to me! You're not making a very splendid figure as king under the mountain, are you? Thorin son of Thrain!" he continues, but softer.

It seems to work as Thorin lets go of Bilbo who immediately flees the sight, crawling down the barricade by a rope. "Never again will I have dealings with wizards... Or Shire-rats!" Thorin sneers.

"Are we resolved? The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised. Give us your answer! Will you have peace or war?" Bard questions the mad dwarf.

As a raven descends from the sky and settles on the rampart, Thorin seems to take it as a sign, glaring down at the human. "I will have war!"

A rumbling is heard in the distance, and we look up to see the ridge being covered by troops of heavily armored dwarves, lead by a huge dwarf riding a battle-pig. "Ironfoot." Gandalf mumbles as Bilbo joins us.

"Ribo i thangail!" (Rush the shield-fence!) King Thranduil calls making the army turn towards the newcomers and march forward to meet them before halting, waiting for further orders.

"Who is that? He doesn't look very happy." Bilbo asks concerned.

"It is Dain, lord of the Iron Hills - Thorin's cousin." Gandalf explains.

"Are they alike?"

"I always found Thorin the more reasonable of the two." the wizard answers, his words rather ironic.

"Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition, if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would you consider...just sodding off!" Dain calls, making a rumble of laughter sound behind him.

The townspeople, clutching their weapons, step back in fear, while the elves pull out their swords and step forward. "All of you, right now!" Dain warns.

I watch with worry as Gandalf steps forward and attempt to speak reason to the dwarf. "Come now, lord Dain!"

"Gandalf the Grey. Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood!" Dain says. "

There is no need for war between dwarves, men and elves! A legion of orcs marches on the mountain. Stand your army down!" Gandalf tries.

"I will not stand down before any elf! Not least this faithless woodland sprite!" Dain insults Thranduil whose eye twitches in annoyance. "He wishes nothing but ill upon my people! If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then!" Dain continues to mock the Elf King.

"He's clearly mad, like his cousin!" Thranduil counters.

"You hear that, lads?!" Dain calls out, rejoining his leagues. "Come on! Let's give these (swearing in dwarfish) a good hammering!" And with that they ready themselves and march forward.

I am ready to take my leave, taking Bilbo with me when a loud rumbling noise sounds and the earth starts to shake. "Were-worms!" Gandalf says alarmed.

Everyone turns to see massive worms burst from the rock of a lower mountain nearby. A massive army of orcs follow in their wake. On top of a large hill called Ravenhill appears a familiar orc. "Azog." I growl.