Back in Time (Year 1) Stories

Alexa's POV

     "Remus, when Harry and I were children, Voldemort came to our house one night. Halloween Eve. It was near midnight when he entered the house. We had just been put to bed upstairs when the door was opened and James was yelling at Lily. James had tried to defend us, his wand laying on the coffee table, out of reach. James was the first to die. Voldemort proceeded up the stairs, headed for our room. Lily was waiting, unwilling to move. When Voldemort killed her, her sacrifice gave me and Harry the ability to live. Voldemort didn't want to kill me, but he turned his wand on Harry. But the curse rebounded, ripping two pieces of his soul away from him and the pieces entered me and Harry. That's why both Harry and I can speak to snakes. We're Parselmouths.

    For the next ten years, we lived with our aunt and uncle and cousin. Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and Dudley. We slept in a cupboard under the stairs, tending to the house and making sure things were the way they were supposed to be. We were treated like slaves. And then the letters started to arrive.

    We were forbidden to open them, never even got a chance. Uncle Vernon decided to rip up the letters so that we couldn't read them. He eventually decided to pack all of us in the car and drove off. I'm not sure what he was looking for exactly, but he wanted to go someplace where they couldn't find us. He eventually got us to a lone rock in the middle off the sea, a few miles off shore. There was a shack on top of the rock, though why it was there in the first place in unknown to me. At midnight, the day we turned eleven, we heard a loud bang on the door.    

    And when the door opened, Hagrid walked in. He explained to us about Hogwarts, gave us our letters, and took us to London to get our things for school. Ollivander had been waiting for us to come in, remembering the wands our parents had gotten. Everyone was treating us like celebrities, due to the fact that we defeated Voldemort," I began.

    I went on to tell him all about my two years at Hogwarts before coming back in time to help Tom Riddle. Remus never interrupted, always listening. When I was finished, he spoke.

    "So, your only job is to make sure that Tom stays good. You are a Parselmouth. You and Harry defeated Voldemort after he killed your parents and destroyed your home. You nearly died twice at Hogwarts. And yet, you're not freaking out?" Remus asked.

    "Are you?" I asked.

    "Yes. I am. This doesn't seem possible. But you're saying that this is a normal thing? That your two years at Hogwarts has never been easy?"

    "Correct."

    "Sorry to interrupt, but I couldn't help but overhear your conversation," Lily said, coming into view.

    "Lils, did you hear everything?" I asked.

    She nodded.

    "Well, you know what's going to happen then," I said. "When you get a Secret Keeper, make sure it's Sirius. If he tells you to make Peter the Secret Keeper, you'll die. Trust me on this."

    Lily nodded and hugged me.

    "You should get some sleep, my dearest daughter," she said with a smile.

    "I'm your only daughter," I replied. "Alexa Potter, at your service."

    Lily and Remus laughed and sent me up to bed.

Lily's POV

    I turned to Remus, who was one of my daughter's closest friends.

    "Keep an eye on her, okay? She might be our age, but she's still a daughter to most of us," I said.

    "I promise, Lily, that I will do all in my power to keep her safe," Remus promised.

    I nodded consent and walked up to the dorm to find Vanessa already in bed. I walked over and tucked her in.        

    "Sleep well, Alexa," I whispered, kissing her forehead.

    She mumbled something and fell asleep. That night, I was haunted by nightmares of what she had said to Remus.