Back in Time (Year 1) Protection

James' POV

I woke up to hear screams. Vanessa. However, she wasn't in our dorm anymore. She must've gone to her own dorm last night once we were asleep. The others were awake as we turned to the door. We didn't bother changing out of our nightclothes as we bolted out and over to the girls' dorms.

"Van!" I shouted up.

"I give you permission to come up!" I heard Evans call down.

The four of us raced up the steps, throwing open the door. The girls were surrounding Vanessa's bed, trying to wake her up. They moved aside as we ran over.

Sirius' POV

I was the first to Vanessa's side. I grabbed her shoulders and pushed her onto the bed, James holding down her legs.

"Someone get a bucket of water!" I heard Remus demand.

One of the girls, Marlene, I think, ran into the bathroom. She returned a few minutes later with a bucket in her hands. Remus took it and motioned for the girls to back away. Muttering a spell that made the water freezing cold, he threw it over Vanessa.

With a final scream, she sat bolt upright, wide awake. The water on her face was mingled with tears as she looked around her frantically. Her breathing was ragged and uneven as she shook with fear and pain.

I knew what it felt like to be hit with that curse. It was unbearable. I felt her pain as her eyes locked with mine. All her fear, pain, anger. All of it. I felt it. And it broke my heart to see this young innocent girl broken by a curse. I knew she was strong. I knew she was determined. I knew she was smart. I knew she could pull through. But she needed our help. And I would be there for her. Remus would be there for her. James would be there for her. Evans would be there for her. McKinnon would be there for her. Fortesque would be there for her. We all would be there for her. I knew that much.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, looking down.

"It's okay. We're here. We're here," I murmured, pulling her into my arms.

I let her cry into my chest, holding her tightly. I felt the other three join the hug. The girls were trying to comprehend it all. Evans was the first to grasp the idea of what happened.

"PTSD attack?" she guessed.

"Yes. She was hit with the Cruciatus Curse a day ago," I answered.

Evans and the girls gasped in horror. Then, they looked angry beyond belief.

"Who did it?" Evans growled.

"Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Black, their friends," James replied. "Why?"

"Girls, it's time we showed those no good, filthy, cheating Slytherins what happens when they mess with our friends," Evans snarled.

They had already gotten ready for the day, bags over their shoulders. They gripped their wands tightly and stormed out of the room, their faces set in a determined scowl. I shared a glance with James.

Since when were Evans and her friends ones to be violent?

"They are good friends of Vanessa," Remus muttered, answering our unasked question.

"I hope they don't get themselves hurt," James said quietly.

"I'm fine, guys. Really," Vanessa said softly, pushing us off.

I caught Remus' glance at her, as though he knew something we didn't. I frowned but said nothing. I wiped Vanessa's forehead with my sleeve, smiling sadly at her. I knew the pain she felt. It was never easy. I swore to myself then that I would never let anything bad happen to her. Ever.