On this side of the plane I could better stand upright-the ceiling was not so compressed. I pushed myself off the ground, my legs felt a bit wobbly-I don't think anything was wrong with them maybe it was just nerves. Were they going to be alive when I found them? I kept asking myself the question as I made way down the aisle using the seats for support. It was taking so long to get to them, I was about to look back maybe I missed them when I heard my name. I never felt so happy to hear my name in my entire life, looking in the direction of the voice, a feeling of relief washed through me as caught Michelle's smile-why was she smiling-did she somehow miss that we were just in a plane crash.

I raced over to her as fast as I could, she was thrown out of her seat and somehow landed a few rows back from her own. Though now I took proper notice she wasn't the only one. Bodies were littered everywhere; deciding to avoid looking anymore I brought my focus back to Michelle.

"Oh God Michelle-are you alright?" I asked as I knelt beside her-what a question to ask, I know, of course she's not.

"I'm fine-how about you?" she asked cheerfully and I began to laugh-only in the worse of the worse situations can this crazy woman make me laugh.

"I'm not too bad. But Michelle....you don't look too good." I said while observing the odd angle of her leg-I couldn't bare to look for more than a second and there was a pool of blood underneath her but I couldn't tell the source.

"Don't worry about that-I'm a lot better now that you're here-I knew you'd come."

"You did?" I asked confused.

"Yeah-we promised remember?" she had to stop it seemed that she had trouble breathing "...Pinky promised" she laughed and raised her pinky finger.

"Yes we did." I met her pinky finger with my own. "In times of need. So what do you need me to do?"

"My girls." she stated seriously all humour leaving her tone. I knew she wanted me to do, so I got back up and walk towards her seat. I found both girls still strapped in their seats I blanket thrown over them that must have been why I missed them. But most importantly they were breathing-unconscious, which is never good but still breathing. I looked back at Michelle on the ground and nodded-and she smiled.

"Claire?" she called.

"I'm here. Right here." I said taking her hand again.

"My girls...." she started but began to cough up blood-that was definitely not a good sign. Shouldn't help be coming soon? Where are they-we didn't manage to leave the runway so we must have crashed somewhere into the surrounding fields. "...you need to look after them." Michelle mumbled. I was so caught up in chastising the airport in their lack of response to a fucking plane crash that I didn't hear her properly. She tugged on my hand to get my full attention. "You need to look after the girls." she stated firmly.

"What do you mean?" I asked wearing a very puzzled look.

"Whatever happens to me- I need you, my 'sister', to take my girls." she said while squeezing my hands.

"You're not making any sense Michelle. First off, you're going to be just fine-I'm sure help is on the way." I tried to reassure her by smiling but I wasn't sure how helpful it was. I could tell that she was hanging on my a thread but I had to keep hope.

"Promise me Claire. Promise me you'll look after my girls."

"There's no need, you..." I started again but she cut me off once more.

"Promise." she insisted with much force but there was no anger in her eyes. This was the plea of a mother who wanted to know that her children would be in good care no matter what. I recalled that she herself was an orphan, so naturally she didn't want the same thing to happen to her girls; she didn't share any useable information on the girls' father and I knew she didn't want anything to do with him or the girls lives. She had to make sure her girls would be okay. Not brought up in the system.
I stared into her watery eyes as she waited for my answer-I couldn't deny her this it would be cruel. I knew I just met them but something inside told me I could do this.

"I promise. Your girls will be fine." and I meant it with all my heart.

"Good-not like you had a choice anyways." she laughed. I sat down beside her still holding her hands. I could finally hear the sirens in the distance.

"Help is near." I said sounding quite tired. The adrenaline has worn off now and I could feel myself slipping.

"That's good. Claire?"

"Yeah..." I could tell that I was loosing consciousness again.

"Everything will be ok-don't worry. Everything happens for a reason-we were destined to meet." I could barely hear her words but they registered.

"Hmm...mm...I'm a little tired. I'm gonna close my eyes for a bit-okay?"

"Okay..." she replied.

"See you when I wake up." and with that everything turned black.