Hanging by a Moment, I Shall Believe

Start from the beginning

"Was that your jump shot? Cause if that was your jump shot, I can't date you anymore." Nathan joked and Claudia laughed. "My mom said you'd be here. Something about a grade?" Nathan questioned and Claudia pointed to the car. 

"Yeah. You cannot be here right now." Claudia exclaimed and Nathan laughed.

"Why not?" Nathan asked as he stood beside her.

"Because I look stupid." Claudia groaned and Nathan laughed.

"You realize I've seen you in that crocheted poncho thing you wear, right?" Nathan asked handing her the ball. Claudia pretended to look offended. 

"Come on this is embarrassing! I want you to think I'm..." Claudia groaned before she took the ball off of Nathan, "not embarrassing." Claudia exclaimed.

"You don't embarrass me, Claudia." Nathan said sincerely.

"Oh yeah? Okay." Claudia laughed before she shot the ball and Nathan caught it. 

"Okay, I take that back." Nathan laughed.

"I can't do it." Claudia groaned.

"Yes you can." Nathan said handing her the ball. "Alright, square your shoulders, to the basket. And you've got to bring the ball up right past your nose like this. Okay?" Nathan asked and Claudia did what he said. "Bend your knees a little. Relax your hips." Nathan whispered in her "And just shoot." He smiled, Claudia shot the ball and hit the rim. "Okay, that wasn't perfect but it also wasn't embarrassing." Nathan smiled with his hands still on Claudia's waist. "It was actually kind of sexy." He smirked before he walked off to get the ball.

___

Claudia was still learning how to shoot a free throw, but she just couldn't do it.

"Today's the day, I still suck." Claudia groaned as she stood on Nathan's basketball court at his house.

"Come on, it's alright. Just keep your elbows in." Nathan encouraged. Claudia threw the ball and she missed... again. Dan came up behind them.

"What's this?" Dan asked smiling faintly.

"Hey, dad. I'm just giving Claudia a few pointers." Nathan explained, Claudia stood there silently.

"I'll bet." Dan replied before he turned to face Claudia. "Claudia." 

"Mr. Scott." Claudia stated avoiding all eye contact.

"So Nathan I thought we'd grill up some steaks at the beach house for dinner. Just the two of us." Dan said smiling. 

"That sounds great, Dad. But, um, Claudia and I have plans tonight." Nathan shrugged.

"Okay." Dan replied hurt, Claudia felt really awkward.

"Some other time, huh?" Nathan asked trying to make his dad feel better.

"Sure. I heard you were back on the team. I think that's a good move." Dan answered and Nathan just nodded his head. "How's my house?" Dan asked before walking away from the young couple. 

"I'm sorry. You should go with your dad tonight, if you want." Claudia smiled looking at her boyfriend.

"I don't want to go with my dad. I want to be with you. Now knock down this shot like I know you can." Nathan smiled. Claudia shot the ball and of course misses it. She groaned uncontrollably. "It's okay. This calls for drastic measures. You're going to be fine. Try it granny style." Nathan instructed as he handed Claudia the ball.

"I am not going to get my 4.0 GPA." Claudia groaned and she took the ball from Nathan's outstretched hand.

___