Chakra nature

Hide was already preparing for the first phase of the shark sage mode training.the tiger shark explained that this training was to know about hide's chakra nature and mastering the jutsus compatible with the chakra nature. according to the tiger shark's experience, he already knew that Hide's chakra nature was water. Then, the tiger shark thought Hide the 5 hungry sharks jutsu that was an advanced technique for water style users. Hide already knew the water shark bomb jutsu thought by kisame and he followed the orders of the tiger shark which was the techniques to do the jutsu by consuming half of the chakra normally used. 

After some time, the tiger shark told hide to try the jutsu. The shark showed him the hand signs by casting a genjutsu that had big hands making hand signs ( sharks don't have hands, so they can't show the hand signs by themselves. Hide remembered the 13 hand signs and followed. He then concentrated his chakre by manipulating the surrounding water. 5 great sharks appeared rotating around hide and the tiger shark was impressed seeing the large magnitude of the water sharks. then, the sharks jumped upwards while opening their mouth. the sharks made a great effect underwater and also made the tiger shark to have some interest at Hide. 

After that, Hide wanted to learn more about this water style and asked the tiger shark to teach him other great techniques. the tiger shark smiled and said that there are plenty jutsus that even Hide could create by himself because water style jutsus can manipukate the magnitude, thickness, depth, shape and volume. for example, the water pillar jutsu which is often used by kisame at battles. Hide got to know this jutsu by the tiger shark. the maximum amount of pillars that Hide could create was 8. But kisame could create 15 with his samehada. Although he prefers using 4 only.

Hide took that in mind and practiced a new jutsu by himself. The tiger shark asviced him that creating a new jutsu will wear him off. So, it is better to learn the sage mode first.