chapter 8

"Do you, Mr. Ryan Carter, take Kylie Williams to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and cherish in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

The priest asked Ryan, and deep down, I secretly wished he would suddenly have a change of heart, like in those dramatic movie scenes where someone stands up and shouts, "I object!" That would be the ultimate joy for me.

"I do," he said, gazing into my eyes. There was a small cheer from the crowd, but honestly, I had no idea who those people were. Maybe some journalists hoping to snap pictures later.

"And do you, Ms. Kylie Williams, take Mr. Ryan Carter to be your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

The priest asked me, and that's when my heart started racing with fear. Can I truly marry this man? Can I really spend my life with him until the end? Will he ever discover my innocence? Can I ever learn to love him, even if it's a difficult journey? Will I forever be a miserable woman?

"Kylie!" I heard Ryan call my name through gritted teeth in a low voice. That's when I snapped out of it and realized I was taking too long to answer. Everyone started whispering, and when I looked at Ryan, his eyes had this cold expression that seemed to say, "Don't you dare embarrass me here, or you'll regret it." It scared me. What did I do to deserve this?

"I-I do," I replied in a low voice.

"Please speak up, my child," the priest urged me, as my voice was too quiet.

I took a deep breath, looked into Ryan's glaring eyes, and said louder, "I do." The whispering died down.

Ryan's eyes still remained cold and daring. Maybe one day I'll be able to understand what's going on in his complicated mind. Finally, we exchanged rings.

"I now pronounce you... husband and wife. You may kiss the bride," declared the priest. My heart started racing as Ryan stepped closer. What was he going to do? Was he really going to kiss me? I couldn't share that kind of intimacy with him. I barely even knew him! He came closer and gently unveiled me. I couldn't help but stare at him. I was so scared of Ryan. He's not like any normal man.

As he drew his face closer, I became even more scared. My palms were sweaty, and my heart felt like it could explode from beating so fast. He kept getting closer and closer.

I found myself gently closing my eyes, preparing for whatever was about to happen. But instead of feeling his cold lips on mine, I felt his warm lips on my cheek. It surprised me, and as he pulled away, I slowly opened my eyes, feeling a mix of shame and disappointment.

But at the same time, I was happy because that wasn't how I wanted my first kiss to be.

      Don't forget to vote and comment.