chapter 16

So you're finally awake. Come with me.

"Where to?" I asked in a sleepy tone.

"You wanted to know what was in my hand yesterday, right?"

"Y-yes, of course I want to know."

"Then follow me," he said, leading me out of the room.

I followed him downstairs to the kitchen, feeling unsure about what was going on in his mind.

"See for yourself," he said, handing over the envelope to me. I quickly opened it.

Inside, I found my high school certificate and the design I had made for an international fashion competition that I couldn't submit due to lack of money.

I suddenly felt weak as I looked at him. His face was devoid of all expressions. I couldn't read Ryan at all; he knew how to hide his emotions when he wanted to. He snatched the envelope from my hand.

"I think you've got your answer. I don't have to explain," he said.

"W-what are y-you going...to d-do with it?"

"Do I need to answer?"

"Why?" I impatiently asked.

"Someone is being impatient," he said, turning on the burner.

A terrible feeling washed over me. I knew what he was planning, but I couldn't believe it. Could Ryan really be more heartless and cruel?

"No, Ryan, please don't do this to me," I pleaded.

"I can actually find work with that. Please don't do this to me. I'll do anything you ask, and if you have a problem with me working, I promise I won't."

"Seems like you're forgetting why I married you, Kylie. Anyway, I personally have no issue with you working, but I want to see pain in your eyes. The pain of watching your dreams shatter in front of you. Like I said, I want to see you in pain, Kylie."

I tried to snatch the papers back, but he held both of my hands with his strong grip. Oh God, why is he so strong?

"No, Ryan, please don't do this. I'll do anything you say. Please, Ryan, this is my dream. I beg you," I pleaded, but he didn't even budge.

He placed the papers above the flame, setting them on fire, and threw them on the floor. I struggled to free myself, but his grip was tight. My bangle broke from my hand, and blood started to flow.

The physical pain was excruciating, but the pain in my heart was even more unbearable. I gave up and stood there, helplessly watching my dream turn to ashes.

As the papers turned to ashes, he released his grip on my hands. I collapsed to my knees, feeling lost and unsure of what to do next. The pain in my heart was indescribable, a pain that words cannot capture. It was overwhelming.

RYAN POV
     Seeing the papers turn to ashes, I let go of her hands. She fell to her knees, and in that moment, I felt a mix of emotions. Confusion, anger, and a twinge of guilt. It was hard to put into words the pain I felt in my own heart.

He didn't realize the extent of the pain it would cause you. I'm sorry."