Chapter 17: Fortune will tell

Start from the beginning

“Do I really look weird with this disguise?” I spoke.

“Yeah … but that’s the point, isn’t it? No one can recognise you now,” she replied, a bit of coldness heard in her voice.

“Hey, look, I did say I was sorry, alright?” I said, turning around to face her.

At first we were just staring at each other in uncomfortableness but, that moment was soon broken by Eunmi’s heavy sighing. She stepped closer to me and had put on a forceful smile as she hit my shoulder playfully.

“I’m just really tired, okay? I just want to go home, take a warm shower and get some shut eye,” she told me.

All I could respond with was a nod and off we walked again but, this time we walked side by side and there were less awkwardness that wrapped us. I looked to my side, at her small figure, and noticed the gruelling expression her face had painted. She was tired. So, I stood in front of her, before bending down on my knees with my back facing her.

“Get on,” I instructed.

“What?” I heard her say.

“Get on before I change my mind.”

She immediately obeyed as I felt her arms wrap around my neck, and I carefully stood up, holding a grip on her legs, which wrapped around my abdomen. I felt her rest her head on my shoulder and the feeling sent tingles down my back. All this time you may have been thinking that girls are the only ones who get the tingly feelings but, guys get them, too, you know? I am not gay.

Anyway, I continued to walk with Eunmi on my back, when I noticed an odd looking shop built next to a convenience store. I diverted ourselves from the path leading to her house and instead checked out what the shop was. Eunmi must have realised that I stopped walking and she lifted her head up from my shoulder.

“Uh … Kyungie—I mean, D.O, why are we here?” she asked me.

We were faced in front of a shop called Madame Haru Can Tell. Was the owner Japanese? Eunmi tapped my back and I bent down in order for her to get off. We both stood there, staring at the unusual, dark-looking shop before I took the lead in opening the glass door, Eunmi following behind me. There were lit candles on shelves, skulls with lit candles on shelves, unfamiliar symbols painted on walls and a dark red curtain at the end of the hall.

“Maybe we should just … leave,” Eunmi spoke.

“Y-Yeah,” I concurred but, before we could turn around to leave, we heard the sound of opening curtain.

At the end of the hall was a woman, who seemed to be in her late forties, with a black and red, floor-length dress. It had patterns and symbols on it, and a scarf wrapped around her head. The woman began to approach us, and Eunmi stepped a bit closer to me.

“Can I help you?” the woman asked, her voice deep.

“Are you Madame Haru?” I asked as bravely as I could. Let’s face it, although I am a guy, I was still crept out by the place.

“I am,” she replied.

“Are you Japanese?” I asked. Alright, that was a stupid question but, I had to keep the conversation flowing.

Madame Haru laughed from deep within the pits of her chest and she took another step closer to us. The faint light from the red lamp that sat on the counter on the left made her facial features more prominent. She had a scary and intimidating look that could scare even the scarecrows.

“I am only half Japanese,” Madame Haru answered. “Anyhow, are you here for a reading?”

Me and Eunmi exchanged confused glances before switching our gazes back to her. What did she mean by ‘reading’? We did not bring any books whatsoever. Madame Haru must have noticed the confused atmosphere that surrounded us because she spoke.