9

“Can I come with you to pick out our outfits?” I heard a cheery Megan on the other line as soon as I woke up and answered my phone Friday morning.

That question woke me up right away. Dominic said he was going, and not that I am ashamed but I knew Dominic didn’t want anyone to know he was the one dancing with us yet so I had to figure how to tell her no or explain in a lying way that he was going with me.

“My mom-- uh ordered everything already… so I am just going to pick them up, check them and bring them here… so there isn’t a lot to do.” I wasn’t a good liar and I could tell she sort of didn’t believe me when she ‘hmmed’ into the phone.

“Did you just wake up?” She asked and I just hummed as a response and sat up in my bed, disconnecting my phone from the charger. “Okay, well see you soon… hurry up before you’re late by the way.” She said and I just felt confused, it wasn’t even 7.

I just made a little agreement noise before we said our goodbyes and I hung up, looking to see it was in fact 750 and I had just gotten up… no wonder she asked me if I was just getting up and told me not to be late. Oh well, I am going to be later either way if I rush or not.

I put on a pair of my many pairs of white shorts  and just threw on a random shirt and went to the bathroom to hurry and do something with my hair, when I was done I brushed my teeth and set out to grab my bag, switching out my dirty clothes and putting in clean ones since I am going to be with the kids today. I can’t wait to start teaching Jonathan and Maddie the moves they need to learn, I just think it is going to be so cool that they are going to be a mini version of Dominic and I.

I sighed thinking about dancing with Dominic next week. I didn’t want to get too close to him, but I knew I had to. And be comfortable with it since I can’t be a stick and flexible at the same time.

I decided not to think about it and just get to school as fast as I could. So after everything was ready I went into the rest of the house, seeing my mom’s car already gone when I went to mine. I let out a sigh… guess she had somewhere important to be.

I got in my car, throwing my bag in the back and starting it up. I back out and started my 5 minute drive to school, and it was only five minutes because I kept getting green lights.

Thankfully when I got to school I was only 3 minutes late and if I ran I could skip the 5 minutes penalty for  showing my late to first period, so that’s what I did. I ran.

When I got to the class I was surprised to see someone else in my seat.

“Ah Miss Lucas, so glad you finally decided to join us… is there an excuse?” Mrs. Jenkins asked as I looked for someone to point to the seat next to them to help me.

“Overslept.” I said and she narrowed her eyes. “Won’t ever happen again.” I lied, it will happen a lot over this year… and we were just getting started. With the amount of time I have been spending in the studio I am surprised I didn’t just flop over yesterday… well almost but not really.

“It better not. You sit next to Mr. Braxton, whom is either late as well or is absent today, right there.” She said pointing to the completely empty table and I just sighed heavily.

Not only will Dominic and I be dancing together but now we are going to be table mates in Science… great. AP CHEM hates me. I don’t understand most of it and yet I am passing because of all the extra credit Mrs. Jenkins gives us.

Soon we were taking notes and the door opened and just closed. I looked up and saw Dominic with what was probably the same facial expression I had when I walked through the door seeing people in different places.

“I am surprised you took your time to show up Mr. Braxton. Detention for 30 minutes after school. You sit next to Miss Lucas.” She said and he seemed even more confused. “Jesy.” She said slowly like he was dumb and he just glared at her, making her turn back to us as he made his way towards our table.

She kept teaching and when I felt the chair next to me pull out I started writing again, ignoring him getting settled and getting his papers out.

“We are taking my truck tomorrow so be ready by 8.” He muttered to me in the middle of a sentence I had been writing down and I hate it when people do that because I start writing what they say and then I have to go back and erase it.

“I am not getting up at 7 just to be ready to go with you at 8… and I thought you were playing when you said you were coming.” I told him not looking at him, but the chart we are now copying. I swear Mrs. Jenkins moves these slides too fast.

“Not kidding in the slightest… I will not be seen wearing something stupid, and I have seen what they wore last year… and I will never be caught in glitter.” He said and grumbled out the last word before throwing his pencil down, clearly done with his chart.

“I am not getting up early.” I told him and he just breathed out in a sort of smug way making me turn to look at him for the first time since I saw him walk through the door. “And why do we have to take your truck?” I asked and was seriously thinking about what could possibly be wrong with my car.

“I wouldn’t fit in your little ass car.” He said and then picked his pencil back up as Mrs. Jenkins changed the slide once again before I could copy everything down. I groaned and just drew a line and wrote a note to ask Megan for the rest later.

“Not my problem, if we use your car we get my type of clothes.” I told him and I could feel his glare.

“Since when did you think you can just push out smart ass remarks?” He asked and for a minute I felt afraid, but when I looked at him and he was glaring I somehow only saw the face he pulls when he is around Maddie.

“When I know about you dancing with us and singing and playing guitar.” I said and then realized I just blackmailed him… something I tried to promise myself not to do, of course I never promised him but hey… what works, works.