6

“Here.” I heard my partner say in a groan. I looked up with a soft smile as I took the water given. “Is there more?” He inquired sitting down already.

“20 more times should make you better.” I said and he groaned.

You might be a little confused… my partner was Dominic. After I caught him last week it sort of turned a way I never expected:

“She’s right here.” I heard him say and smile back at my mom and letting her in.

“Jes, what are you doing in here… I didn’t know you and Dominic were that close. I guess you and him are really similar.” She giggled and I felt even more confused. I stood putting on my jacket.

“What do you mean?” Dominic actually sounded pleasant and curious.

“You both don’t show anyone what your talent is. I know you want to be alone in here Dominic, but that doesn’t mean your music doesn’t float down the hall.” She said touching his shoulder lightly.

She touched him and he didn’t move away… what is going on between him and my mom.

“Jesy doesn’t hide her talent.” He said looking back at me and I saw confusion wash over his features as well.

“She does… she might teach the kids but she has never just danced in front of a crowd and the only time she danced in front of me was when she was dancing for me and her father.” She seemed to just ramble, but I stopped listening when she brought him up. I hated it when she talked about our time together as perfect.

“Can I have a minute alone with Jesy?” He asked nicely and just as I was about to object my mom nodded with a ‘knowing’ smile and closed the door.

“I won’t tell anyone, you are safe.” I said and started walking to the door.

“Wait!” He said as I passed him and for some reason I fought off his grip that landed on my wrist. He seemed taken aback but didn’t touch me again.

“What? I just said that I wouldn’t say anything… just like last night when I ate dinner with your family.” I said and just crossed my arms, glancing at the door.

“Why don’t you show anyone what you can do?” He asked suddenly like he forced himself to say it.

“Why does it matter to you?” I asked not wanting to go into detail. I hated my reason, but every time I think I have enough courage to throw it away it comes back to haunt me.

“I just want to know… is it stage fright?” He seemed to be begging me to say yes. But that wasn’t it.

“No… I love it when the kids cheer after I show them a dance.” I said not telling him a thing about my reasoning.

“Then why do you hide?” He asked seeming more and more interested.

“Listen Dominic, I don’t know why you don’t share it, but mine is personal.” I said wanting to run out of the door and just go home.

“I heard about Logan and Piper… I am willing to help. But I need help.” He said making me confused.

The bad boy Dominic Braxton wants to help. Help me and my mom with this place? Why?

“Why? Do you even know how to dance?” I asked and he seemed the shy away.

Let me tell you that was a sight to see. His head was down and his feet were shuffling as he put his hands tightly around the guitar around his shoulders hanging from the sting.

“Your mom gave me my sanctuary. This place… it’s my solitude. It’s the only place I can play and just be me.” He said looking up and for a moment I didn’t remember who I was talking to. He looked different. He looked desperate.

After being convinced over a whole other day of notes being thrown at me of begs and pleads I told him to meet me here today.

I learned what he meant by Logan and Piper.

They came and withdrew their money for classes; leaving my mom even more desperate for money. Logan and Piper disappeared every lunch; never letting me get in their face, ask how they could do this to me, to my mom.

My mom loved them as her other children. I was her only child but she was one of those moms who just attracted the entire neighborhood with her chillness and hope. She gave me hope after everything.

Megan said that she is happy that me and my mystery lead man are taking their place. She has so much faith that we are going to win and rub it in their face. I wanted to do it, but I didn’t want to lose anyone… not again.

“So just start again?” He asked and I just nodded standing and stretching my arms again.

I had been working on this dance for the past week after saying we would do it. I wanted to help my mom, which was why I was putting up with his complaining and his late night dance practice. I understood the time; he had more than one job to do.

He still worked at the lumber yard, which meant his arms must be burning. I watched as he pushed through the routine and when we were done I got him water.

We switched off each time the routine of our solo was done. He would still need to learn the real dance, the one I coordinated. I knew it but right now I wanted to make sure he got the beginning, the most essential things that will get the judges attention.

I handed him the water and sighed putting my back straight as I bent over and breathed deeply.

“What are you doing?” I heard him ask and I snapped back up.

“Stretching my back.” I said confused as to if that was what he was really asking.

“Does that help?” He asked genuinely.

“Does for me.” I said and he nodded before downing his water. “We can be done for the night.” I suggested and he sighed relived and threw himself back on the floor.

“When is the next session?” he asked and I stood straight.

“Whenever you have time.” I said not wanting to cut in to his time.

“I have tomorrow off of work, I would suggest then but you are teaching my sister to dance.” He said and I just nodded. They were going to be in the dance too, a small part as we ‘changed’ in an instant.

I was going to tell Maddie she was going to be lead and so was Jonathan… the one with the best mom who is bringing dinner tomorrow. Yeah, they were dancing as the little versions of Dominic and I.

I thought it was a good idea that Megan came up with and I just couldn’t say no. I planned on telling her tomorrow but somehow I wanted to tell Dominic o tell her tonight, but then there would be questions asked about how he knew.

We didn’t tell anyone but my mom that we were the ones dancing together. If we pass this round we only have two weeks to develop a new routine and we would all be together, I mean if we are going to dance on a huge stage in front of a hundred people we should be able to work out a dance together.

I sighed walking over and getting my bag. I hefted it over my shoulder only to feel it being ripped off my shoulder.

I turned and saw that Dominic was putting it over his and then getting his on his other.

“I can handle my bag.” I told him walking over and trying to get it off of his shoulder that should be in pain.

“Just leave it and get the door.” He said pushing my hands away and holding my bag in his hands tighter.

I sighed knowing that look of irritation and went to get the doors for him, hurrying each time so he wouldn’t be kept waiting.

As soon as we were out of the studio I pressed my button to unlock my car walking over and opening my passenger door. I jumped when I felt my bag whiz by me and fall into the seat. I turned seeing Dominic’s back already walking away not caring if that would have hit me or not.

I guess when we aren’t in the studio he is a jerk. Great.