A knock on her door brought her back to the present.

"Yes?" She wiped her tears and put on her robe.

"Dorothea."

"Come in."

"It's locked." She said after a second.

Pamela stood up and went to unlock the door. Dorothea stood there looking somber. Pamela made way for her to enter then she shut the door.

"Is everything alright?" Pamela asked.

"I think I should ask you that."

"Really?" Pamela asked with biting sarcasm.

Dorothea sighed. "Are you okay? I think I should know if anything is wrong."

"Of course, something is wrong, Dorothea. I was held at gunpoint." She said aloud like she was talking to an idiot. "I am shaken up and need to rest."

"Yes and I understand honey. I'm so sorry about what happened."

"Thanks."

"You're pushing me away, Pamela. You're still mad at me about the divorce."

Pamela groaned in protest and sat. "Why are you bringing this up? This has nothing to do with the other."

"Of course it does, and I assure you I would feel the same if I were in your shoes. But try to understand me, honey -"

"Understand what exactly?" she shouted. "The fact that you threw away twenty-five years of marriage? The fact that you broke his heart and refused to forgive him even after seeing how he was suffering? What Dorothea, what?"

"The fact that I left him so I wouldn't lose him, how about that?!" Dorothea yelled back.

Pamela was taken aback. "What?"

Dorothea closed her eyes and took in deep breaths. "Just, just let it go." She whispered.

All the shouting had drained her strength but she didn't give up. "Tell me."

"I said let it go."

Pamela took a deep breath. "I want to go home."

Her mother looked at her sharply. "If you leave here, you'll be killed."

"You think so? The enemy who wants to kill me has shown me his face. I'm not scared of him at all."

Dorothea scoffed. "Devlin is not the enemy. If my memory serves me well, you said that he saved you from a masked man that held you at gunpoint. How can an enemy do that?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if he staged all that just to win my trust and then slowly kill me someday."

"You are so naïve."

She placed her hand on her chest in mock surprise. "Oh really? Thank you but I'm just being cautious, a trait you suck at. Tell me, why do you insist we stay here? And why do you show so much concern for that beast?"

Her mother gave her a calm look. "Is that the problem? You're jealous?"

"No, the problem is I'm wondering if he's the reason you walked away from twenty-five years of marital bliss."

"What? That's ridiculous. Devlin is –" Dorothea sighed. "You know what? I'm out. All I'll do is advise you to stay here because your life is important to me."

"I don't know the horseshit he's been feeding you but I'm fine, and I can take care of myself."

"Pamela, please." Then Dorothea smiled. "I think you like him."