The Ice Caves

Osmosis, Indian Drone, Water Stream

Hues of blue, magenta, and turquoise of the machinery shift and shimmer across the frozen white ceiling of the cave. Water dripping down from crystal clear icicles creates a twinkling sound throughout the interconnecting natural labyrinth. A stream flows through the tunnels, almost obscuring the hum of the technology used to record every aspect of the water, filtering it even further than it already is before it reaches the base.

The wind from the storm outside is now faint, distant, though it's not far inside this particular maze. It will take a few hours for the storm to pass. It's a survivable amount of time, even with the piercing cold. Better than trying to brave a journey back, at least.

The water is warmed a little by the filters, but not much. Not fit for swimming for a warm-blooded mammal, not even close, but it's beautiful to watch. It flows swiftly around snow-white stalagmites and carries shiny flecks of rock through it. A few small tadpoles and fish can be picked out as well. This close to civilization there isn't any wildlife near to be heard, but farther inside things start darting back into the shadows. And there are lots of shadows. This bit here is lit by big industrial lamps, and so are the caves a few yards down, but eventually that stops, and it's just stumbling about in the pitch black.

It's easy to get lost in the caves. It's happened so many times before that all the inhabitants back 'home' have been given special tracers to wear. The caves make a lot of people nervous, but the veterans of the station know the more regularly traversed stuff like the back of their hand. It's actually remarkable how quickly they flit in and out of them, like rabbits. The newer ones can take hours doing the simplest task on their own, so normally there's a buddy system. Occasionally though, someone does get caught out alone. Not a worry though, as long as they don't wander.